How hot is too hot?

JoeTheCarGuy

IMG_2145.JPG IMG_2147.JPG Hey guys, my 03 I6 has 216000+ miles on it. New radiator, new 185 thermostat, new 18# radiator cap, new water pump, new cooling system flush and a 60% mix on coolant to water. Mid 80's today in N Alabama and an afternoon cruise, backroads not getting over 55 mph my engine temps are running high. Is this normal or is there something else I should do?

210-215 is normal. 248 is not. What radiator did you use? It is well known to run an oem Mopar radiator, water pump, and 195 stat.

Did you burp all the air from the system?

Yep, I'd double check to make sure all the air is out of the system. That is running too warm.

Yep, I'd double check to make sure all the air is out of the system. That is running too warm.
Yes, I've made certain that all of the air is out.
Which radiator am I running? Good question, previous owner replaced it. I've only had it for two weeks. I'm guessing that it's the cheapest that is available for the vehicle.

Stupid question, but have you removed the radiator cap when the engine is cool? Is it full to the top?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Does it ever exceed that temp on your temp gauge? If so, don't worry about it. Mine will get to that level on really hot days in traffic, but never goes any higher. I'd say it gets to about 220 at the worst.

I've got oxygen sensor fault codes, could that be making the ECM adjust the air/fuel or timing and making the combustion too hot?

Opposite actually, A hot combustion chamber will cause the ECM to dump fuel (run rich) to cool the cylinder down.

To clarify the pre cat O2 is what determines a rich or lean condition.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
It has to be some sort of issue with the cooling system install. What was the deciding factor in changing out all the parts you listed?

Radiator was replaced by previous owner. Unknown reason.
Engine boil over led me to flush cooling system, replace thermostat and put in fresh antifreeze/coolant.
Water pump leaking from weep hole led to the water pump replacement.

Codes were there when I purchased. I cleared them and they've came back.
P0135
P0138
P0158
P0141
P0161
Well with just a PO135 present the ECM is going to be running in open loop. Meaning the ECM is not accepting O2 sensor data to add fuel or take away fuel to the engine. (adjusting short term and long term fuel trim) When the engine is ignoring O2 sensors it is undoubtedly running very rich.

Properly diagnosing thr O2 sensors would be my place to start and then move into the running hot issue.

You dont drive this everyday do you?