How long does this frame have left on it?

TJoel97

Hey all, I'm trying to see the extent of this rust and how much time this frame has left on it. It's rusting from the inside-out and has large, thin chunks of rusted frame falling from the walls (as seen from picture 6). The reason why I ask if this question is because I was offered 9k for the vehicle ( 06 Rubicon 85k miles) and was considering selling it if I don't have too many years left until it rots through. Frame swapping is not an option for me. Thanks, appreciate the insight.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

If someone offered you $9K with that frame, sell it immediately! Off course this assumes they're aware you're selling them a frame that is living on borrowed time!

Reactions: taylormade73
Just my opinion, but my experience has been that rust is almost always worse than it looks at first glance and yours looks like its getting bad enough to need attention. If I could get $9k for that Jeep I would sell it and move on. Either that or prepare for some frame repairs in the future. You can potentially fix it with repair caps, rather than a full frame swap.

Honestly I would feel bad for the buyer. Hope they know what they are asking for.

Reactions: Irun
No way to truly tell without dropping the skid plate, and there's a good chance it won't ever bolt up again. How does the inside of the frame feel where it curves over the rear wheel?

Have you considered Safe T Caps? Much more economical option compared to frame swapping, and it looks like your Jeep would be a good candidate considering the body seems to be in good shape.

Sell it for the 9K offer, but keep looking over your shoulder for whoever buys it, they may be looking to whoop some ass after they figure out what just happened to them. :confused:
Agreed...this would have to be a full disclosure sale!

Thanks. everyone. I live in Puerto Rico Right now and the guy that offered me 9k actually works at a large offroad 4x4 shop down here so I believe he'll be squared away with what he wants to do with it, after inspecting it obviously. Luckily, not too much salt down here which is good for the buyer.