How long will rusty TJ frame last?

Best choice for sure. I'm from Alberta, we have the same issues. I'd say keep it on pavement or good smooth gravel til you know the frame will take a bit of flexing. Rust is a bitch but until a bolt falls out or you can punch holes in it drive with care. Me, I'd want to replace the frame..... or buy a rust free beater and use those low milage parts on it. I'll guess you got it for a rock bottom price.

Enjoy the TJ experience, they are a blast even as grocery getters.
One thing I’ve always wondered, how would my Jeep fair if I were to lift it and throw on bigger tires.
She currently does 80.. sometimes 85 for a quick second.. down the NJ highways without an issue. Wonder how that compares to slowly crawling over rocks lol

My understanding is you need to run Dana 44 if you want to run the big tires well, and do some crawling. the big tires and lifts are cool, but my guess is the mpg gets destroyed. Which I know doesn’t matter as much when you’re having fun.

I’ll be fixing it.
The caps are an insurance policy for you and others. If you are going to drive it, might as well enjoy it trouble free. The vehicle, if you will keep it long term, will need care anyways. Consider it an investment in smiles per gallon.

The frame is one of those things that I need to take care of myself and doing so in stages, whilst still enjoying the ride. Plan it accordingly, tackle the areas that look the worst, make them better and do preventative maintenance everywhere else. You'll spend the same or a bit more this way, but not all at once, unless you have the cash for a full frame repair.

For us salt Winter folks, the spring perches, on the frame and the axles, the bump stops and all nooks and crannies where salt brine gets in and does it's magic.

The caps are an insurance policy for you and others. If you are going to drive it, might as well enjoy it trouble free. The vehicle, if you will keep it long term, will need care anyways. Consider it an investment in smiles per gallon.

The frame is one of those things that I need to take care of myself and doing so in stages, whilst still enjoying the ride. Plan it accordingly, tackle the areas that look the worst, make them better and do preventative maintenance everywhere else. You'll spend the same or a bit more this way, but not all at once, unless you have the cash for a full frame repair.

For us salt Winter folks, the spring perches, on the frame and the axles, the bump stops and all nooks and crannies where salt brine gets in and does it's magic.

I definitely want to enjoy cruising with the kids and teaching my daughter to drive a standard shift on this, so there’s no way I’m going to mess around with the safety. I mean, nothing is 100% safe, but I agree that the caps are insurance and a piece of mind. Just hoping the frame repair doesn’t cost more than what I paid for the Jeep.

I definitely want to enjoy cruising with the kids and teaching my daughter to drive a standard shift on this, so there’s no way I’m going to mess around with the safety. I mean, nothing is 100% safe, but I agree that the caps are insurance and a piece of mind. Just hoping the frame repair doesn’t cost more than what I paid for the Jeep.
Yeah for sure.

I was talking to my local tire shop manager and he told me his son had purchased a TJ and was out wheeling and all the sudden he couldn't shift, they climbed under the jeep to find his frame had given way. Not completely sure what gave way but just be ware you could get stranded so be prepared. Also in my little experience owning my Jeep I have lost trust is mechanics when it comes to working on these Jeeps. I would find a shop that specializes in Jeeps or treat everything your mechanic tells you with skepticism.

I was talking to my local tire shop manager and he told me his son had purchased a TJ and was out wheeling and all the sudden he couldn't shift, they climbed under the jeep to find his frame had given way. Not completely sure what gave way but just be ware you could get stranded so be prepared. Also in my little experience owning my Jeep I have lost trust is mechanics when it comes to working on these Jeeps. I would find a shop that specializes in Jeeps or treat everything your mechanic tells you with skepticism.

He’s looking everything over this weekend. He has around 40 years experience and he has worked on Jeeps but I agree - if he tells me it’s good to go I’ll probably take it to my local Jeep dealer to get a second opinion. I probably need them to put in some fluid film anyway.
wont be off-roading this too much, but I need assurance that the frame will hold out, either for the immediate future or after I get any frame work done. While I’m at it, anybody know the best way to clean inside of frame? I pressure washed it out the best I could. Next I thought I’d spray my compressor in there and maybe pick up a magnet to fish out flakes. I’ve heard people say to do that.

I guarantee you that frame is rotting under that skid plate. If he removes it to find rot, he will find rot, and then he likely will have to cap it immediately because there is no getting that plate back on. I do agree with you in principle—no one should be driving an unsafe vehicle. If it were my Jeep, I'd do the right thing and cap it right now if the rest of the tub is OK.

However, if he is not dailying the Jeep and just wants to bounce around on the trails before figuring out whether to cap the vehicle, it's not a huge deal to wait a little while as long as there are no cracks in the frame near the rear control arms—that's where the real danger is in terms of safety.
Just make sure you have some heavy duty zip ties for when his skid drops. Dont ask how I know this!

• Haha
Reactions: bromel