How many miles do you get before your low fuel light comes on?

MellowYellow

TJ Enthusiast
This is mainly for DD as off-roading uses more fuel. After a fill-up, how many miles do you get before your low fuel light comes on? Mine is usually around 240. Takes +/- 15 gallons to top off. 4.0, 5 spd, 33" tires 3.07 gears.

Pay no attention to the low fuel light, it is notoriously inaccurate. Mine comes on when there is still 4+ gallons left in the tank.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting about 260-280 miles before the gas light comes on. Been getting really good at using the skinny pedal efficiently.

Edit: 19 gallon fuel tank. My light usually comes on when there's 2-3 gallons left

Last edited:
Remember, some of us have factory 15 gallon fuel tanks, some of us have the factory 19 gallon fuel tanks, and some of us have aftermarket fuel tanks.

Dan

This is mainly for DD as off-roading uses more fuel. After a fill-up, how many miles do you get before your low fuel light comes on? Mine is usually around 240. Takes +/- 15 gallons to top off. 4.0, 5 spd, 33" tires 3.07 gears.

My light just came on. Going to fill up at lunch and see how many gallons it takes.

I'm more interested to know your thoughts on the drive-ability/performance of your rig with those factory 3.07s turning the 33s . . . I have a 4.0 5 spd on 31s with 3.07s.

True though they're pretty rare. It takes the Jeep having been a truly stripped-down four-banger model to have been shipped with that smaller tank size.

Mine has the 15gal and it is truly stripped down but does have the 4.0 and a/c...then basic 2 speed windshield wipers, basic radio, crank windows, manual locks, basic manual seat adjustments. I guess I just got a weird one lol

Last edited:
With the 15gal tank the light comes on with about 12 gal. That 12 gallons only buys me about 140-155 miles. I averge about 12mpg. Have a 4.0, 3 speed auto, 4.56 gears, 33" tires. Running about 3250rpm's and get abut 1mpg better around town than on the interstate.

Mine comes on around 200-220. I have about 5 gallons left when it comes on.

Same here.

The float gauge in the tank works just like a toilet fill valve. If you care to, you can make the dash gauge say what ever you want to by bending the float arm. Mine changed a bit when I installed a Bosch fuel pump.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
My light just came on. Going to fill up at lunch and see how many gallons it takes.

I'm more interested to know your thoughts on the drive-ability/performance of your rig with those factory 3.07s turning the 33s . . . I have a 4.0 5 spd on 31s with 3.07s.
Pretty bad! 5th gear is pretty much non-existent except for downhill or short runs on level roads. I've learned to downshift before I get to a decent uphill. 1st and 2nd are great, 3rd is good, and 4th is mostly ok.

Reactions: RustyCage
My "low fuel" light routinely turns on with 2 gallons left in my 19 gallon tank. My "miles per tank" varies depending upon whether it is Interstate miles, offroading miles, or a mix.

As @jjvw observed, the float arm can be adjusted to alter fuel gauge readings. The corollary is that each jeep is likely to have differing fuel gauge readings and triggers for the low fuel level light. Therefore, it pays to keep records of how much fuel it takes to fill up at various readings on the fuel gauge and when the low fuel light turns on. What others observe for their jeeps may provide somewhat of a benchmark but is largely irrelevant to one's own jeep.

I keep contemporaneous records of fuel consumption, price per gallon, fuel needed to fill the tank at 1/2 and 1/4 tank and when the low fuel light turns on, gallons consumed per engine hour during days spent primarily in 4 low (IMO a better method for measuring fuel consumption on multi-day trails like the Rubicon, Dusy-Ershim, the White Rim Trail near Moab, etc.) so that I can have a realistic idea how much fuel I have remaining in the tank and whether the extra 5 gallons in my jerry can will safely get me to the next fuel source.

I also would not describe the gauge as unreliable. Perhaps it is when comparing vehicle to vehicle, but I don't care about others. ;) Mine has always been consistent. Since this is the only Jeep I own, I will call it perfectly reliable for my purposes of needing to know when to find a gas station.

Pretty bad! 5th gear is pretty much non-existent except for downhill or short runs on level roads. I've learned to downshift before I get to a decent uphill. 1st and 2nd are great, 3rd is good, and 4th is mostly ok.
Thanks Mellow. Good to know. I think my rig ('01) runs great on the 31/3.07 combo and I get good use out of the whole gearbox. I can get it up to 70 and change on level freeway. Looking to regear and go to 33s, but that's in a future budget somewhere down the trail.

Just filled up with 14.3 gallons after my fuel light came on. Seems consistent with past fill ups. Trip meter said I'd gone 189 miles which is a paltry 13 mpg. It's possible I didn't reset it last time or two I filled up, or that I reset it on the road to mark mileage or something. Haven't really been anywhere lately but around town.

You'd very likely get better mpg if you regeared your axles to 4.88 so the engine isn't lugging with those 33's and the factory 4.10 ratio. :)

Agreed!!!!! But I have a set of AAM 9.35 and 11.5 going in soon. I’ll have to regear to somewhere in the 5s with those because I’ll be putting in 35s then eventually 37s. [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine takes 14 gallons as soon as the fuel light comes on. I use that to gauge my fill ups as I have the notorious ball stuck in the fuel tank issue, so get the back splash if I don't watch it. I have the flutter valve to put into the fuel hose, but haven't gotten around to it yet.