How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

HA !
I've had a Rec Tec 680, bought it in 2011. It is amazing, their customer service is the best.
I wouldn't put down Traegers but they are what they are.
Working in a slaughterhouse, i have put so much meat on that smoker and I've got to say, my wife loves my meat.
I could post some pics of all the stuff I've smoked
Ha I was waiting for the meat guy to chime in!:ROFLMAO:

and so I go into my research mode - Traeger, Rec-tec, Z-grills...any others?
I’m not one for shelling for other companies. Rec Tec has really stepped up their game with options. What really sold me was my dog ate the wiring when he was a puppy and they sent me all replacement wiring for free I’ve had 2 fan motors sent for free and an auger.
772D44B7-506E-494A-8923-F1965400E626.jpeg
85BF8239-F4D7-4CBD-8D2C-1BF2D49C7C3E.jpeg
0EFC1F9C-BF56-4B8C-981E-2779A1B9367D.jpeg

Last edited:
HA !
I've had a Rec Tec 680, bought it in 2011. It is amazing, their customer service is the best.
I wouldn't put down Traegers but they are what they are.
Working in a slaughterhouse, i have put so much meat on that smoker and I've got to say, my wife loves my meat.
I could post some pics of all the stuff I've smoked
Just checked out the Rec Tec’s, those are nice. I wish I would have stumbled on a thread like this years ago.

Damn! that is a nice smoke ring in the first pic. After reading on their site (rec-tec) they are more expensive but the materials and build quality look like it is a "lifetime" grill purchase. The z-grill on amazon looks to be Chinese powder coated steel construction and we all know how those age and it is still $599?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Damn! that is a nice smoke ring in the first pic. After reading on their site (rec-tec) they are more expensive but the materials and build quality look like it is a "lifetime" grill purchase. The z-grill on amazon looks to be Chinese powder coated steel construction and we all know how those age and it is still $599?

Rec Tec is definitely Chinese, just better quality control.

My go to is a Vision kamodo style (big green egg) Charcoal. Its very nice, 700'ish dollar grill that I got from Home Depot. Comes with two racks and lights with an electric starter. The air vents are graduated so its pretty easy to get the temp dialed in just right. I've done everything from searing steak at 600 degrees to a 6 hour slow cook pork butt. I use Lump charcoal and I'm usually cooking about 20 minutes after start-up.

https://visiongrills.com/kamado-grill-models/professional-c-series/

When I'm feeling really crazy, I have a nice firepit with cooking grates.

I'm also running an old Char-Broil Commercial series Stainless Propane grill. Its OK...Pretty consistent to be WAY hotter in the back than the front. I've learned it, but a can't really recommend it. Its good for quick stuff, like hot dogs...but honestly, I think I'd be OK getting rid of it and just using my charcoal.

what is current model compared to the 680? Why do you think it is less than perfect? Not a loaded question, I just want your thoughts.

thx

not sure, its 680 sq inches of cooking area......paint has peeled. they sent me a can of primer and high temp paint.

Has anyone ever done this with a ribeye right on the campfire embers? This was on the Trail Recon/LiteBrite tube channel.
975C94E9-AA01-44E7-9253-424404B3BE28.png
DF055643-90BC-473C-B0D3-60E6E8A8AEF3.png

Reactions: TJ Starting
I’ve cooked with charcoal in my younger days and swore by it, “you can’t get that sear and char flavor with gas” I would proclaim. Then as I got older and could afford one of those gas rigs I would swear it tasted just as good, I didn’t have to deal with the coals and ash, and instant on/off. Now that I’m older and have less time to stand around and mind the “Q”, I Traeger, it allows me to multi task. I don’t get the same “we’re you messing with your Jeep” questioning. Instead I get the “OMG that tastes so good and it’s so tender”. By the way my Traeger is kept in my shop so I can push it out the Drive door away from peering eyes and let it do the work while I mess around with my Jeep.;)

WHAT DO YOU COOK OUTDOORS WITH AND WHY?
Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking meats, enjoy the manual nature of it (just like the Jeep, you need to show it some love to get what you want) Weber kettle for normal grilling.

Buy Weber charcoal in bulk during end of year sales.

Any themes.....?lol

Ribs from yesterday 3-2-1 style
C537ADA4-09B9-4A83-8605-E0616A6944A0.jpeg

what is current model compared to the 680? Why do you think it is less than perfect? Not a loaded question, I just want your thoughts.

thx

When I bought mine 2011/12
They were still a small company. Really well built. In the last few years I think competition BBQ really got their sells up and the quality might have taken a dip. Either way, their customer service is top notch

I did 2 tri-tips this morning at 5am for a memorial service for a friend (a YJ guy that’s probably gonna do the Con trip with us in September) whose dad had passed away. Anywho that’s what brought this up. I smoked them first then slow cooked them to temp. I pulled them off and covered them in foil while I cranked the temp up then seared them. I did 2 racks of ribs yesterday and some chicken the day before. I was thinking that’s probably why I got a lot of work done on my TJ.