How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

the one I found on CL is a year old pro 22 model for $350...still selling locally new for $649...seems like a big hit for one year...says he needs a bigger grill.
I have a Century 22 that I got at Costco and its more than big enough, he must have a huge herd to cook for.

I’m far from even a novice grilled/smoker so I’m not making any claims of greatness, but back long ago when I was working in the fire department riding an engine company one day one of the old timers smoked up a dozen chickens and a few racks of bb ribs in an old 55 gallon drum he converted into a smoker by cutting 3 tabs on the rim on each side where he had 1/2” pipe across the top making 3 bars to hang meat the last modification was a ring of 1” diameter holes 3 inches up from the bottom 2” apart. He made a couple dozen double ended hooks out of welding rod hook loop on each end with a twist so the ends don’t line up each 3” or 4” long finished. He threw 10# of charcoal in the bottom (split the bag keep charcoal in a pile, then he just seasoned the meat with Lowery’s season salt hung a half chicken on each hook, 1/2 rack of ribs to a hook, set the lid back on and set the caps 1/2 over the bung holes and left it alone until the meat was falling off the bones it took around 5 hours. Month latter all 10 fire stations had one of these sitting out back with various handle modifications added and most everybody had one they made in the back yard at home.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeM and DrDmoney

Brats with wood chips in the foil, cheaper than buying a smoker...along with a Grill

View attachment 97812

Brats with wood chips in the foil, cheaper than buying a smoker...along with a Grill
is that the older charbroil infrared that the perforated crate is a couple inches below the main grate or the newer style where it is right under it? My old rusted out and really do not like the newer style, before I was able to put a wood chip box under the grate, now everything cakes up from below.

is that the older charbroil infrared that the perforated crate is a couple inches below the main grate or the newer style where it is right under it? My old rusted out and really do not like the newer style, before I was able to put a wood chip box under the grate, now everything cakes up from below.
It was bought about 2010, the lower grate is about 3/4" thick, which the upper fits inside the lower. I use a pressure washer and real "easy off" oven cleaner to get it clean. I tried to sand blast it, that cost m $50 for new lower grates due to sever warpage. I just helped a couple of people get grills, they got the newer style infra red that has a cast iron upper grate, it seems to be much heavier duty than my grill. I sure like these, if you watch the cooking time, it really does not over cook your food. Tim

Nice looking brats...some spicy mustard and sauerkraut and your are good!
I try to eat like that every night, I only eat once a day though...We did oven baked crinkle cut fries and fresh corn on the cob. Tomorrow will be a new adventure, I am thinking baby red potatoes, halved, wrapped in foil and slathered in butter, 20 minutes on the grill, cover with bacon bits or pulled pork. Grrrr....................bacon...............pulled pork........hmmmmmm drool

Reactions: 1515art
you are killing me! I am in the middle of 24 hour intermittent fast day. Can't do the taters or corn, too many carbs for me. I am type 2 diabetic and let it hit critical point in January and A1C was up to 9.6. I dropped most of the carbs and last reading a month ago was 7.0 and dropped 25 lbs along the way.

You only eat once a day?

Reactions: MikeM
Ok. All the meat I cook on my smoker is great and all but man I’m a sucker for 2 things on it. Okra tossed in oil and Salt N pepper and take n bake pizza. For you east coast ppl, it’s a thing out here. They prep it, you bake it. In the oven it’s all soggy and to doughy. On the smoker it crispy and flavorful

• Love
Reactions: MikeM and DrDmoney
Green Mountain Grill. Daniel Boone Model.

My son and I are cooking tri tip here just before Christmas for friends in the Phoenix Fire Dept.

0BE1FC86-B21D-4193-9A12-FCFFCB9E8A32.jpeg

This grill travels a lot. NASCAR races, parties, etc. It was a pain to load and secure in my truck, so I lifted it, added bigger off road tires (notice a Jeep influence)! Also added the lower and front shelves.

- can these treagers replace a normal propane grill for everyday grilling?

Grilling what? Hotdogs? For sure. Chicken? Yep. Burgers? Maybe depending on the quality of the gas grill it's replacing. Steaks? Nope, nope, nope. The problem with Traegers is they dont get hot enough and the pellet fire box is at one end, not under the food. Think of a Traeger like a wood pellet fired outdoor oven. 185F to 450F depending on ambient conditions.

Grilling what? Hotdogs? For sure. Chicken? Yep. Burgers? Maybe depending on the quality of the gas grill it's replacing. Steaks? Nope, nope, nope. The problem with Traegers is they dont get hot enough and the pellet fire box is at one end, not under the food. Think of a Traeger like a wood pellet fired outdoor oven. 185F to 450F depending on ambient conditions.
Smokers are smokers. If you want to sear, no thanks. I don’t take my smoker over 375.
I found some propane grill on the side of the road for that. Treager or not. It’s a smoker.

[QUOTE="cliffish, post: 371945, member: 4608"

You only eat once a day?
[/QUOTE]
I usually only eat one real meal, I may have a granola bar for lunch or breakfast, Sometimes a couple of eggs and toast for breakfast but dinner is my real meal right now. Since I have not been working a steady job and I have been home at night, I am the cook. I worked nights for 10 years, I missed eating dinner with the wife.

My wife is a brittle diabetic, she got a pancreas transplant 3 years ago, now she needs a kidney, all she eats is junk food, bread, potatoes, cereal, no protein and little vegetables. I try to cook a well balanced meal and she wont eat the meat. Right now here GFR is hanging around 20, not quite on dialysis yet but it is coming soon. She is only 41 years old and is not too much over weight, she is seriously retaining water right now. Compression sock helps but its not enough. Oh well, she refuses to listen to me. I prefer higher protein and veggies with a little fruit added in.

[QUOTE="cliffish, post: 371945, member: 4608"

You only eat once a day?
I usually only eat one real meal, I may have a granola bar for lunch or breakfast, Sometimes a couple of eggs and toast for breakfast but dinner is my real meal right now. Since I have not been working a steady job and I have been home at night, I am the cook. I worked nights for 10 years, I missed eating dinner with the wife.

My wife is a brittle diabetic, she got a pancreas transplant 3 years ago, now she needs a kidney, all she eats is junk food, bread, potatoes, cereal, no protein and little vegetables. I try to cook a well balanced meal and she wont eat the meat. Right now here GFR is hanging around 20, not quite on dialysis yet but it is coming soon. She is only 41 years old and is not too much over weight, she is seriously retaining water right now. Compression sock helps but its not enough. Oh well, she refuses to listen to me. I prefer higher protein and veggies with a little fruit added in.
[/QUOTE]
That does suck for her but it is within her control to help herself, it has to be tough for you to show support without getting mad. I have had my Dr. wave the insulin pen in front of me a couple times over the years and just the thought usually makes me try harder. Something about that last A1C and the hospital refusing to do my shoulder surgery clicked in my mind and I have changed my whole food perspective. I won't even call it a diet as I don't feel like I am on one, just thinking outside the box when it comes to food.

Reactions: DrDmoney
are you smoking or dehydrating?
Smoking.
They are marinading for a few days then onto the smoker for a few hours at 170.
I went with a little Asian flavor, ginger, sesame oil, green onions, pineapple. The other bag is basic soy sauce, W sauce, garlic, balsamic vinegar.

Reactions: MikeM and cliffish