How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

Kingsford doesnt use sand, they have just a manufacturing process that is different than other manufacturers. Kingsford actually wins a lot of competitions for BBQ and smokers. Tim
I'm sure you're right, but it sure seemed to leave a much higher volume of ashes than the stuff i normally use. It has been a few years. I may give it another shot.

I'm sure you're right, but it sure seemed to leave a much higher volume of ashes than the stuff i normally use. It has been a few years. I may give it another shot.
The amount of ash is determined by the the wood. Aspen or popular will leave almost no ash, but oak or maple will leave a lot. I grew up on wood heat. As a general rule, hardwoods provide a lot of long term heat and leave a lot of ash, pines leave a lot of tar, softwoods burn fast but dont hold a fire overnight with little ash. We tried to heat with oak and maple over most other woods. Now my parents use gas because cutting 10 cords of wood is too much work.

Turned out great!
miny fattie.JPG

I use a Traeger Bronson that I bought back in January. So far I have really enjoyed it. Steaks, burgers, pork, and ribs come out nice and juicy. One of the better things I have bought for it are a digital thermometer. I used to just cut open a little bit of what I was cooking to see where it stood on the "done" scale. The thermometer makes it so much easier. I am still learning a bit on different rubs, marinades and such, but I dont think I will ever go back to a gas or charcoal grill.

My main go to grill is a Weber Master Touch. I can do anything on it. I recently bought some cheap gas grill for quicky things like a hamburger or hotdogs when time matters, or other things that I don't feel like lighting charcoal for, but I only need a Weber Kettle do do anything on...including smoking things.

I can maintain a rock steady 250 degrees for a good 5 hours plus without ever touching it after the initial start up.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I've smoked with apple wood chips before, pulled pork is probably my favorite. I just was given an old Traeger and thought of this thread. For those that use pellets any recommendations?

I've smoked with apple wood chips before, pulled pork is probably my favorite. I just was given an old Traeger and thought of this thread. For those that use pellets any recommendations?
ones that are 100% of the wood you want, not the ones with filler. If it just says 100% hardwood they use filler like oak. The bag must say 100% apple wood or what ever flavor you are buying.

Reactions: pagrey