How many of you outdoor cook with a Traeger? If not what is your BBQ rig of choice?

You guys are slacking on this thread. As I await my pellet grill I am growing more impatient. Post up some good looking food. I've been hanging out on Smoking Meats Forum and BBQ Brethren, looking for recipes.

If anybody has any good sides recipes they want to share I'm in search of more things to try.

No posts of food just now but I did break down and buy a fire pit controller for my Kamado Joe. Only used it once so I have some learning to do. I found it held 225 very very good but when I wanted to go up to 275 it was very slow to do that. Overkill for sure but this model can monitor up to 6 temp probes. Here I am testing 6 probes so make sure they read mostly the same. This one came with 3 probes but the ones I have for my older thermometer worked also. This is the controller and one wire to the fan that slips in the lower vent.

IMG_6582.JPG

Reactions: Apparition
No posts of food just now but I did break down and buy a fire pit controller for my Kamado Joe. Only used it once so I have some learning to do. I found it held 225 very very good but when I wanted to go up to 275 it was very slow to do that. Overkill for sure but this model can monitor up to 6 temp probes. Here I am testing 6 probes so make sure they read mostly the same. This one came with 3 probes but the ones I have for my older thermometer worked also. This is the controller and one wire to the fan that slips in the lower vent.

View attachment 250106
Looks nice

You guys are slacking on this thread. As I await my pellet grill I am growing more impatient. Post up some good looking food. I've been hanging out on Smoking Meats Forum and BBQ Brethren, looking for recipes.

If anybody has any good sides recipes they want to share I'm in search of more things to try.
It'll be well worth the wait!
Keep searching recipes and planning. You'll be very happy.

Reactions: Apparition

I’ve owned my RT since 2012 ish.
Ive done a done of all types of meat and pizzas on it
Toss any “cook times” out the window and either use a probe or go by touch. 3-2-1 method for ribs is junk.
Just cook things how you like them, falling apart or a nice tight bite. I’ve gone to buying good quality rib rather than make my own.
Roll some smokes brother !
1467612F-0213-4FBA-B4C3-3AD351246458.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: B252 and Indy
I’ve owned my RT since 2012 ish.
Ive done a done of all types of meat and pizzas on it
Toss any “cook times” out the window and either use a probe or go by touch. 3-2-1 method for ribs is junk.
Just cook things how you like them, falling apart or a nice tight bite. I’ve gone to buying good quality rib rather than make my own.
Roll some smokes brother !
View attachment 250150
I dry rub my ribs and cook until done. Delicious.

Exactly, cook by temperature and not time. I had friends laughing at me when I used a therm on the gasser for steak. They would always put their finger on the steak to check firmness. Finally after over cooking them he asked me for the link to what I use.
Thermapen is a game changer for grilling and smoking even if you’re just testing for probe tenderness. I bend test ribs.

Reactions: Hunter Rich
Last edited:
Reactions: DuncLJ
Never dried doing a Tomahawk yet. How are you doing that, just grilling similar to a steak?

This was my first try at one. It was about 3 inches thick. I dry rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder, and paprika. Smoked it till it hit 120 degrees (about 45 minutes), then seared it till it was 130-135 degrees. Cut it into slices and it fed 4 adults easily. Texture and taste was more like prime rib than a regular ribeye steak. Delicious though. I'm definitely doing it again soon. 🍻

When you cook brisket do you go low and slow or high and fast?

I just cooked brisket at 300 degrees the best I've ever done.

I've done 10-12 hour cooks at 225 and have done 8 hour cooks at 275. Both were on a 15-16 lb brisket. Both were equally mouthwatering.

Reactions: B252 and DrDmoney