How severe is this radiator rust?

wolf1790

Just curious everyone's input.

How many miles has everyone gotten out of their cooling system? And when is a good time to overhaul as a preventative maintenance plan?

Not too experienced with radiators so I'm not sure if this is a red light or normal. If it's not good, I'm considering doing a full overhaul.

20190714_192133.jpg

The factory radiator seems to last about 120k miles, give or take. If yours is doing it's job, don't worry about the rust beyond maybe a chemical flush. If the Jeep is past 100k, start preparing your mind for a new radiator.

Reactions: wolf1790
Here’s mine at 82k. It’s getting 100+ where I live and I can sit and idle with AC on no problem. As long as the fluid is still clear you should be good.
760BD569-941D-4539-8E97-F21EB617FA47.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
It should be fine, but I'd start thinking about a new Mopar radiator in your future. That shouldn't ever happen as long as you use pre-mixed fluid (or distilled water if you mix your own).

That is the result of someone putting tap water in the system most likely.

@Chris that's kind of what I figured. The fluid that came out didnt seem to be too gross either. I may look into a overhaul soon, just to get ahead of it. But good to know that it isnt an emergency.

I'm at just over 130k miles, so I know it's getting to be that time anyways.

Reactions: Chris
I got 92k miles, and 19 years out of mine, but I blame the POs lack of maintenance.

20161122_105522.jpg

I would buy another one even if it lasted the same amount of time. I echo everyone else's recommendation--stick with mopar. Replace the water pump while you are in there along with tstat and hoses.