How to connect wiring to soundbar plug?

Kurt_S

Supporting Member
I bought a stock soundbar for my '97 which never had one and found the connector on amazon. Can someone point me to a video on how to connect the wires to it? I found the wire order on the forum, but not sure how of the rest. How far back to I strip the wires and should this be soldered?

Plug and connectors.jpg

These are just crimp connectors, no solder required. You strip off just enough of the wire to make contact, then crimp them down with a tool like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFLWKTT/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm no electrician, and man this was a pain in the ass to do. If I had to do it again I would just cut the connectors and solder/shrink wrap the wires.

EDIT: That first link isn't exactly the style crimper you want, it should be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07476C1LD/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
These are just crimp connectors, no solder required. You strip off just enough of the wire to make contact, then crimp them down with a tool like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFLWKTT/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm no electrician, and man this was a pain in the ass to do. If I had to do it again I would just cut the connectors and solder/shrink wrap the wires.

EDIT: That first link isn't exactly the style crimper you want, it should be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07476C1LD/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Having the correct terminal release tool and crimper makes life a whole lot easier.

Having the correct terminal release tool and crimper makes life a whole lot easier.
Yep, I learned that after mangling a bunch of them and finally buying the tool. On the surface it looks like you should be able to do it with a pair of pliers but you will never get them seated properly without good crimps.

Reactions: williambmac
Thanks for the link to the correct crimping tool. I had a question about where to strip and crimp, but I see the tool shows how to do that.

Does anyone have a source for automotive speaker wire? I can't find it on amazon, I thinking of 16-18 ga dual strand, dual color. It would be great if I could match the wiring schematic I have for my 97. I have 100ft red/black, but I'm looking for something else to distinguish them. Or am I, as usual, over-thinking and over engineering this?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
This video has a pretty good visual on how to do it. They are showing their overpriced AMP crimper but the process is the same (minus the ferrule).

Reactions: Kurt_S
This video has a pretty good visual on how to do it. They are showing their overpriced AMP crimper but the process is the same (minus the ferrule).

That’s not over priced. That’s a high end crimp tool.

Some of my crimpers were over $250.00
That's wild. Definitely out of my price range.
That’s not over priced. That’s a high end crimp tool.
Fair, if you're a professional I can see why you would be willing to spend on it.
Does anyone have a source for automotive speaker wire? I can't find it on amazon, I thinking of 16-18 ga dual strand, dual color. It would be great if I could match the wiring schematic I have for my 97. I have 100ft red/black, but I'm looking for something else to distinguish them. Or am I, as usual, over-thinking and over engineering this?
I just used some Walmart speaker wire, can't remember what gauge, just make sure it seats well in the pin. If you are oversized the pins won't fit into the connector.

Just the stripe on the speaker wire is fine so you can distinguish + and -. Sure you could try to match factory colors, but I don't see why it would be worth the effort given that it's going to be covered up anyway.

Reactions: Kurt_S
That's wild. Definitely out of my price range.

Fair, if you're a professional I can see why you would be willing to spend on it.

I just used some Walmart speaker wire, can't remember what gauge, just make sure it seats well in the pin. If you are oversized the pins won't fit into the connector.

Just the stripe on the speaker wire is fine so you can distinguish + and -. Sure you could try to match factory colors, but I don't see why it would be worth the effort given that it's going to be covered up anyway.
The Kent Moor crimpers are expensive, but they are invaluable when you are doing automotive wiring repairs.