How to disable the door chime on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Badlands

Found it maddening to listen to the dinging over and over when you leave the door open with the keys in the ignition, such as wanting to listen to the stereo while out side the jeep. So after some research I found the dinger, it's located on the back of the speedo panel, I didn't want to destroy it so I found an easier way, I just disconnected the door switch, Yes, that means the interior light also won't light when you open the door, but I never really liked that anyway, it makes you stand out at night, to me it makes you a target.... anyways, I tried to unscrew the circle nut and found it doesn't really unscrew, just grab the whole switch and rock it around while gentle pulling on it and the switch pops right out, then simply un plug it and push the wiring back, then snap the switch back into the hole and you are done! no more ding ding ding when the door is open! If you need the interior light on you can still turn it on at the dash.

Note: you have to pry the wiring plug off of the switch, I used my pocket knife but use what ever works.

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0984.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_0986.JPG

Reactions: Thunderhead
A lot of us run a switch to disable the chime and lights from coming on. That way you get the best of both worlds. Just a thought if you find yourself missing having the interior lights come on.

Reactions: Apparition
I had to move some of my high capacity magazines and freedom...do you guys have that in CA?

We older folks do. The youngins even got a chance to buy some for a week in April 2019. We have millions of public acres of the best of offroading on the planet...do you guys have that in TN? :p

For those who want a quick, temporary way to shut the beeping and overhead light off, I would recommend these clips. They snap right on and keep the switch pressed in. I use these when my doors are off in summer and keep them handy in the winter for when I want to be incognito while my doors are open. They're an inexpensive option if you don't want to mess with wires or fuses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RLL1G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

asdfsd.jpg
asdfsd2.jpg

Reactions: Chris
For those who want a quick, temporary way to shut the beeping and overhead light off, I would recommend these clips. They snap right on and keep the switch pressed in. I use these when my doors are off in summer and keep them handy in the winter for when I want to be incognito while my doors are open. They're an inexpensive option if you don't want to mess with wires or fuses.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013RLL1G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 137087View attachment 137088
Just curious . . . in your photo, it says Canada. Is this on all TJ's . . . or did your TJ come from Canada ?