How to insure smoothest ride quality?

Shaydon15

Hey everyone, so I’ve been trying to do upgrades to my Jeep that make the ride quality as smooth as possible. I’ll tell you what I’ve done, and if anyone can recommend anything else I’m missing.
I have a 4 inch rough country lift.. I know… but. It’s still relatively new so it shouldn’t be the end of the world control arm wise.
-curry steering (new)
-jks front track bar (new)
-billstein shocks (new)
-teraflex rear track bar (new)
- sye kit installed
-33 inch tires
- pro comp steering stabilizer? Idk it came with the Jeep and idk if a new one would make a huge difference.
- I did my best aligning everything and adjusting all the control arms but if having a steering rack do it, would make it that much better 🤷‍♂️
-set my toe in to 1/16th, or a hair more.
-ball joints arnt perfect but they’re not bad either.

Bilstein shocks are stiff riding any way you look at it, exactly what pressure is inside your 33" tires?
Honest I have no idea. Probably like 35. I didn’t think about that. What should it be? And from like a road handling point of view… is there anything else I can upgrade?

Honest I have no idea. Probably like 35. I didn’t think about that. What should it be? And from like a road handling point of view… is there anything else I can upgrade?
35 psi may be what's molded onto the sidewall but that pressure is only the tire's MAXIMUM safe air pressure and it should only ever be used when the tire is forced to carry its maximum design load which for safety reasons should never be done. It's never the air pressure that should be run with an automotive tire. For 33'x, you want around 26 psi when the Jeep is lightly loaded like around town, 28 psi when it's fully loaded like on a highway trip. You should only run the pressure on the sidewall when its a non-automotive tire, like a trailer or bicycle tire.

Everything else looks fine, the steering stabilizer is not there to actually stabilize the steering, its correct name is actually steering damper. It's there to help isolate road shock and vibration from the road away from the steering system and steering box.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
35 psi may be what's molded onto the sidewall but that pressure is only the tire's MAXIMUM safe air pressure. It's never the air pressure that should be run with an automotive tire. For 33'x, you want around 26 psi when the Jeep is lightly loaded like around town, 28 psi when it's fully loaded like on a highway trip. You should only run the pressure on the sidewall when its a non-automotive tire, like a trailer or bicycle tire.

Everything else looks fine, the steering stabilizer is not there to actually stabilize the steering, its correct name is actually steering damper. It's there to help isolate road shock and vibration from the road away from the steering system and steering box.
Sounds good, I’ll air down some. What do you air down to when wheeling? And okay. So! If I’m still unhappy with like a it’s squirleyness in the road. Should I just get an alignment? Or is an allignment just setting my toe in 1/16th of an inch? I don’t want to go in and be like yep! All good!

Sounds good, I’ll air down some. What do you air down to when wheeling? And okay. So! If I’m still unhappy with like a it’s squirleyness in the road. Should I just get an alignment? Or is an allignment just setting my toe in 1/16th of an inch? I don’t want to go in and be like yep! All good!
Don't air down "some", go to 26 psi if it's just you driving it around without a heavy load. For 33x12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels you can go safely air down to 10-12 psi. With 15x10 wheels I'd say 12-13 psi.

T
Don't air down "some", go to 26 psi if it's just you driving it around without a heavy load. For 33x12.50 tires on 15x8 wheels you can go safely air down to 10-12 psi. With 15x10 wheels I'd say 12-13 psi.
That’s what I meant haha. I’ll go to 26. And that low?? Even without bead lock rims or what ever those are called.

T

That’s what I meant haha. I’ll go to 26. And that low?? Even without bead lock rims or what ever those are called.
Yes, no problem. I used to regularly go to 8 psi with my 35x12.50 tires on my previous TJ that did not have bead lock wheels. That was my usual pressure when offroad. I did 10-12 psi with 33's many years ago. Not to mention unseating a tire is not catastrophic or a big problem. It can be reseated on the trail with little effort. At least so long as you're not running extra-wide wheels like 15x10 or 15x12. Keep in mind if you're not below 15 psi you're not airing down enough to help.

Reactions: pc1p and Shaydon15
Ditch the bilsteins I changed mine out for rancho adjustable ones. I don’t like the rs9000s either but it’s way better than the bisteins. As others mentioned tires pressure and just make sure everything is torqued correctly. Make sure your control arm bolts were torqued with the Jeep on the ground so they aren’t preloaded.

With KO2 33x10.5 I’ve settled on 26psi daily driving, 18-20 if I’m doing trails close to home and won’t be exceeding 55mph on the way home, and 10-12 on rocky trails when I need it and have a way to reinflate before driving home on pavement. With 12.5 width you can probably get away with a few pounds less. I used to think my shocks were the problem but pressure is most of the issue.

Reactions: Shaydon15
Reactions: rasband