How-to make a DIY tailgate table for your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I've posted mine before but this seems to be a good thread put a lot of tailgate tables together in one spot. (y)

The first one I made drops over my tailgate when I need it on my TJ, or at the time, LJ. I made a pair of brackets and lined them with strips of rubber where they touch the painted surfaces of the tailgate.

picture.jpg

I hinged 2 sheets of 1/8" aluminum. The back vertical sheet attaches to the brackets with thumb screws so everything can be taken apart for storage and assembly when needed.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

I recently made a second one that I've mounted to my LJ. I used 2 heavy duty SS cabinet hinges and screwed them to the tailgate. The table is a piece of pine sandwiched between a sheet of 1/16" aluminum and a heavy duty floor tile with a diamond plate pattern. It's held closed by a toggle clamp. I screwed 2 clear rubber bumpers to the tailgate for the table to rest against when closed. The chain I used to support the table rattled when I drove the LJ so I covered it with a piece of fabric wiring loom. The chain has a turnbuckle at the top so I can level the table (one way any way - can't do much about the other way other than to park as level as possible). Most importantly I added a bottle opener to the bottom right of the table. 🍺

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Neither of these were very expensive, maybe $40 to $50 for materials.

One day not too long ago I was killing some time searching various website stores for Wrangler accessories when I found something that did pique my interest. Folding tailgate table. I thought that would be great! While sitting on the trunk or sitting in a chair you had somewhere to rest your keys, drink, or other small items.

What killed my vibe were the following:
1. Price
The cost of these things ranged from $75-200+. I thought that absurd for a lightweight metal slab with hinge.
2. Quality
Them there was the steel and material. Saw waaay too many worryingly negative reviews citing build quality of the metal and screws that came with it. Not an encouraging review to see on even the priciest tables
3. Fitment
You will notice a majority of these tables fit for the JK and JL. There are few tables available for our TJs. Making the search that much more narrow.

I'd given up until I stumbled upon this DIY video.

Seemed simple enough. I set out to Home Depot to procure all the parts needed. Despite the title and description I ended up paying roughly $55 for all the material needed.
A. Plywood
B. Stainer
C. Heavy magnet
D. Paracord
E. Two Smaller Magnets
F. Handle
G. Piano Hinge
H. Heavy Duty 30lb or more rated double sided tape

Took measurements. Cut the wood to size. I didn't need a total tailgate covering shelf and therefore did not cut it pretty compared to the video. Also, my 05 Rubicon had a different tailgate than the one in the video.
View attachment 113486

View attachment 113487

I measured and drilled 2 holes for cupholders, and cut to fit the hinge. My 1 hour stainer remained sticky for much longer than advertised and needed multiple coats on both sides anyway. Unless you have all day starting morning to flip the wood in the warm sun, expect staining to take a while. Additionally, I chose a color to match my Jeeps interior as I didn't care to have the wood resemble the top of a school desk.

So next day after staining is complete I installed the table. My method was first installing the hinge onto the tailgate, then getting underneath the jeep to drill in and secure the table. I had someone hold the table up for 5 minutes while doing this part.
Since my Rubicon didn't have the same paracord hole per the video I instead used a smaller, strong magnet to loop it in, hold it, and keep it level. Finally, it was finished.
View attachment 113488
View attachment 113489
View attachment 113490
The handle was my idea for ease of use. I didn't like having to slip my fingertips behind the wood everytime to open it, and the silver pull icon is there because even with a handle its not obvious right away how to open it ("So like do I pull the handle orrrr?"). Also added some Jeep logo stickers to give it that final little touch.

And thats how ya do it, at least how I did it for my Wrangler which was marginally different from the video I found. That video is a really good base to work from, and as a result I didn't go too in depth here.

If you've got a day to kill and want to go about trying a VERY easy, inexpensive self made Jeep mod with a practical use while parked, you can't go any better with this DIY table.

If anyone else has made their own table like this please share some pics, share your cost and other relevent info.
Hows the double sided tape holding up on the piano hinge? Anyone else use double sided tape? I have all the parts needed to make my table but still working on my design for a rear storage/security shelf and not sure how they will interact.

Hows the double sided tape holding up on the piano hinge? Anyone else use double sided tape? I have all the parts needed to make my table but still working on my design for a rear storage/security shelf and not sure how they will interact.
If the area is thoroughly cleaned and the tape applied per the manufacturers instruction it holds up very well, most use 3M Automotive VHB Tape (very high bond) it’s used to stick emblems on cars.
as for the security deck, it will likely need to be notched to clear. You could make a filler piece that jogs up from the notch and over the folded table To close off the trunk area. I closed off the area behind my security drawer similarly.

Jog up from deck height
7FA30E0E-8B6F-46B7-A6CF-211279E42BF4.jpeg

back to gate above table
10D6DF82-5562-4B92-BE7C-421BE68C0CAE.jpeg
35F1BB36-B779-4FC4-BB90-2AB4E7186C8F.jpeg
6C0A4D2E-3949-41BB-8705-9B4CC79F8572.jpeg

Good stuff! I'm late to the party but wondering if anyone's considered aluminum Molle panel so junk can be strapped to it when up. I'm not that ingenious.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and NOTNSUV