How To Outboard Fox 2.0 RR Shocks

Question about the frame cut. I did a lot of research and I found that you cut the bottom all the way back to the inside wall of the frame but you leave 3/16”-1/4” at the top. You use this to fine tune the tilt of the shock tower. If you cut the top all the way back to the inside wall of the frame and then tilt the tower inward to fine tune for clearances won’t you have a big gap to deal with when welding?

Yeah the audio was off but you still did a great job of showing how to do the job. If someone has a video editor that separates the audio from the video you could shift the audio to align it better.

I use Filmora by Wondershare. It does as you describe. They sell a one time license for $70 or a $40/mo (edit: $40/YEAR, not month) subscription. I do the subscription because it includes updates. The one time gets patches and bug fixes for the version you buy but I'm now on 11 and started on 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Question about the frame cut. I did a lot of research and I found that you cut the bottom all the way back to the inside wall of the frame but you leave 3/16”-1/4” at the top. You use this to fine tune the tilt of the shock tower. If you cut the top all the way back to the inside wall of the frame and then tilt the tower inward to fine tune for clearances won’t you have a big gap to deal with when welding?
I was also wondering how, once you've cut all the way back to the frame, you could make much shock tower adjustment when you cycle the suspension with full bump on one side and full droop on the other if the shock body happened to contact the tower on one side or the other. In this case it worked out without contact.

We didn't tilt the mount on this one. The new tower is right up against the back wall of the frame. We had no less than a 1/4" gap between the frame and the shock body.

Reactions: tworley and rasband
I use Filmora by Wondershare. It does as you describe. They sell a one time license for $70 or a $40/mo subscription. I do the subscription because it includes updates. The one time gets patches and bug fixes for the version you buy but I'm now on 11 and started on 9.

I think VLC media player can do it .. and it is open source. There are several more in the Linux world that have been ported over to windows.

in this post @jjvw said his tower was about 1/4" off the upper part of the frame.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/outboard-rear-shocks-project.15545/post-250741

Someone with many shock outboard jobs explained the ease and benefits of standing the tower up straight after doing more than can be remembered easily.

I think VLC media player can do it .. and it is open source. There are several more in the Linux world that have been ported over to windows.

I mistakenly typed that the subscription was $40/mo, which would be Adobe levels of ripoff. I edited my post to reflect that it's $40/year. For a fully featured video editing software full of stock content for music, transitions, elements, titles, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Someone with many shock outboard jobs explained the ease and benefits of standing the tower up straight after doing more than can be remembered easily.
He did. Doing it this way is far easier when you realize all the fussiness of precisely tilting the towers doesn't really result in a better job.

What was the desired purpose of tilting the towers?
The thinking was to make sure the shock body cleared the mount at the far reaches of the travel. This would be more of a concern with a track bar making the axle shift the furthest over to the passenger side.

But at some point, Blaine noticed that there is plenty of room even with a track bar. So it is just easier to stand the tower up against the inner wall of the frame.

The thinking was to make sure the shock body cleared the mount at the far reaches of the travel. This would be more of a concern with a track bar making the axle shift the furthest over to the passenger side.

But at some point, Blaine noticed that there is plenty of room even with a track bar. So it is just easier to stand the tower up against the inner wall of the frame.
But only by virtue of moving the lower end out against the friction welds.

But only by virtue of moving the lower end out against the friction welds.
I'll have to measure where the friction welds are in relation to the flange. I've rebuilt a lot of axles that don't have friction rings. I suppose too far out and the tire becomes an issue.

I hear using the Poly Performance shock towers are the preferred towers. I'm assuming it has something to do with the offset of the upper mounting location.

I have a set of Genright Towers. Are they comparable to the Poly towers? Or should I be looking to swap them for Poly Performance towers for better installation?