How to remove NV3550 shift lever?

Morks

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Replacing the shift tower seals on my 04 tj with an nv3550. Removed the 4 bolts to take the tower off the top of the transmission. The shift lever where the two M6 bolts would go are completely shot. I am unable to thread a fastener to compress the spring. I do have a separate transmission that uses the torx bit however the threads inside that seem to be slightly damaged (looks to be the first 1/4 of the fastener is cracking off). How would you go about taking the shift lever off my current tower? If it is not possible without damaging the tower in some way, I can try using the other tower. I have not yet as I need a bolt to go into it... Any ideas?

I did. However, I had to make 2 shifters out of 1. I thought the threads were damaged on my older trans, but it was just bad lighting in the shed. Fortunately, I had it laying around. I hardly see jeeps being parted out here and have yet to see one in a junk yard near me since buying my tj... Hopefully you can figure something out.

I figured something like that would be the case. I can see a few ways to save the shift tower and sacrifice the shift lever itself, but then I'd have to buy a new shift lever... so a B&M shifter has shown up instead.

Reactions: BC Moto and Morks