How to sell my TJ for the price it deserves

tawerTJ

Bradford West Gwillimbury, Ontario, Canada
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I hope everyone's staying well and safe. I'm looking to sell my TJ that I purchased just a couple of months ago, as I was unable to sell my other car for a desirable price.
Another reason is that I figured out that I'm just not the type of guy that'll spend time trying to fix odds and ends, so a TJ may not be the car for me. I know, I'm saddened by this fact also, as I always thought I'd be rough and rugged.

Anywho, I purchased the TJ for $5,500 and spent about $1,700 (replaced the whole front end suspension, ball joints, tie rods, etc...) as a result of a death wobble, and placed a new battery.

The TJ is a 2006 with 192,000kms (119,000 miles) and doesn't have much rust at all on the frame, just on the left fender.

To my post. I know the car needs a "Transfer Case Slip Yoke" from what I've been told, as it shifts a bit heavy on the lower gears, and there is a clanking. I want to mention this in the post, but am not sure how to, as I know the vultures willj ump all over it! I am letting anyone know of this issue, although I don't think it's a major fix.

Either way, listed for $7,900 and willing to take $6,500. Link below, any thoughts?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1498470026&siteLocale=en_CA

My thoughts are as follows:
  1. Take better photos. Poor quality photos like that don't sell vehicles.
  2. Take more photos (the more phots you take, the better it looks to the buyer)
  3. Take lots of photos of the frame and underside (this is one of the first things educated buyers look for)
  4. Take photos of any and every flaw on the vehicle. Buyer like this
  5. Write a longer description and include things such as specific maintenance items you've address, how long you've owned it, etc. Tell a story and make it sound more interesting.
  6. Come to terms with the fact that you may end up sitting on it a long time with this economic crisis that is only going to get worse. (y)
Clean that damn thing up, wait for a nice sunny day, and drive it to a place with a scenic back drop. Take really nice photos like you want to sell it, not like it was raining outside, the vehicle hasn't been cleaned in forever, and you were in a rush ;)

Solid advice. Not familiar with your area and what TJ’s go for, but you can’t usually count the money spent fixing things if you didn’t buy it really under value. Not many would care that you had to do some maintenance on it, at that price point you will either be in the ballpark or not, look up local similar Jeeps and see what they are going for. That would help as well. Also, things are odd right now. Lots of jobless or uneasy people. Toys are down on the list of a must buy right now. Good luck!

Completely agree, and I appreciate the advice very much.
As for being in a rush, yes. I have a tendency to make rash decision, so I'll slow it down, wait for a nice summer day, and maybe take the top off as well.
I'm in Toronto, Canada, by the way, so rust is a huge issue up here, but the TJ is surprisingly clean.

What @Chris said. If you're trying to sell your Jeep, take photos that will sell it. List the positives as well as the negatives. It's a 14 year old vehicle so being upfront with issues that have been addressed as well as issues that still need addressing is something prospective buyers will appreciate. Put some elbow grease into getting it nice & shiny, park that thing someplace scenic on a sunny day and SELL it.

Yep! I know how to sell vehicles because I put lots of effort into it. Take good photos, be as descriptive and detailed as possible. That's what sells cars (y)

Those photos look dreary and depressing.

Reactions: driver
lol I appreciate the a$$ kicking here. I completely agree.

I'm going to put a comprehensive list of the work done to it together, and take some nice pictures by the river, and maybe in the river, since you know, it's a TJ.

Thanks for the advice. I was lackadaisical and assumed that since it's such a niche market, people would "just know". Nah, not the case.

Reactions: Rick Flair