How-to tune my CB antenna

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Does anyone have any good recommendations for YouTube videos or advice on tuning my CB antenna?

I don't know anyone near me with a CB radio to talk with back-and-forth, but I know from wheeling last weekend that it only works within maybe 100 feet, then it starts cutting out really bad.

Do I need an SWR meter to tune it properly?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ULN610/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used one like that on my TJ. Instructions that came with it were easy to follow. Returned the meter to Amazon after I used it. Moved the CB to the LJ and never tested it but it works fine without being tuned on the vehicle.

Reactions: Chris
yes you need an SWR meter. A properly tuned CB should easily reach several miles. The one you listed is fine, but you also need a short cable to go between the radio and the meter. The instructions that come with them are fine. Then you just need to tune the length of the antenna (which one do you have?)

yes you need an SWR meter. A properly tuned CB should easily reach several miles. The one you listed is fine, but you also need a short cable to go between the radio and the meter. The instructions that come with them are fine. Then you just need to tune the length of the antenna (which one do you have?)

What kind of cable do I need to go between the radio and the meter? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Reactions: tworley
The instruction sheet included with the meter is sufficient for using the meter. As far as tuning the antenna they vary depending on type. What do you have. Firestiks are very popular and easy to tune. I did try a 2' firestik and ti tuned ok, but not great. Got a 3' and it is much better. Anything taller will not fit in garage.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
Its real simple. Should only take a few minutes if you are not having ground issues

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

Okay, it's not as daunting as it seems then.

The instruction sheet included with the meter is sufficient for using the meter. As far as tuning the antenna they vary depending on type. What do you have. Firestiks are very popular and easy to tune. I did try a 2' firestik and ti tuned ok, but not great. Got a 3' and it is much better. Anything taller will not fit in garage.

I have a 3' Firestik. It doesn't fit in the garage, I have to remember to remove it every time I pull in unfortunately.

We'll see how it goes, I ordered the stuff and it says it will be here tomorrow via Prime.

I own a Astatic PDC1 SWR meter (shown in the Amazon link), and carry it with me in my trail kit because invariably someone in the group has a problem radio. It came with the necessary jumper cable.

The Right Channel Radio video instructions are among the best instructions on the Internet.

Another good set of CB antenna tuning instructions can be found here:

https://www.wearecb.com/how-to-tune-cb-antenna.html

Okay, it's not as daunting as it seems then.

I have a 3' Firestik. It doesn't fit in the garage, I have to remember to remove it every time I pull in unfortunately.

We'll see how it goes, I ordered the stuff and it says it will be here tomorrow via Prime.
Get a 2’ antenna, maybe a firefly for flexibility. Zero issues with my 2’.

Reactions: Chris
I had a cheap SWR meter that was obviously screwed up as it read 3+ into a resistive load. Bought a fairly expensive dual needle model that can be used for both CB and GMRS - and ran over the POS old one with my Jeep...

Reactions: Ephry73
I had a cheap SWR meter that was obviously screwed up as it read 3+ into a resistive load. Bought a fairly expensive dual needle model that can be used for both CB and GMRS - and ran over the POS old one with my Jeep...
@Zorba , do you have a link to the CB/GMRS one you bought?

@Zorba , do you have a link to the CB/GMRS one you bought?
Google's your friend, I think I bought it at HRO...

00.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73 and SSTJ