How to wire a house receptacle

Never wrapped with electrical tape, but I just do basic stuff and would also never open a box that was still powered.

I have an old house, still have a few runs of the old aluminum two wire stuff, wrapped in black fabric. Asbestos I assume, lol. I've been replacing them as I find them and in the process have run across some really jacked up stuff. Shared neutrals for no apparent reason, really shoddy connections in junction boxes, all the usual nonsense. It's amazing that we have so few electrical fires in this country, especially in the northeast with many 100+ year old houses with original wiring.
prevents death

How much wiring is okay to have behind the outlet hardware in the box?

I'm using some old work boxes to wire up some outlets. I feel like I might be allowing too much extra wiring behind the outlet in the box.

How much wiring is okay to have behind the outlet hardware in the box?

I'm using some old work boxes to wire up some outlets. I feel like I might be allowing too much extra wiring behind the outlet in the box.
Other people have their own opinions, but i was taught when the wire was pulled out through the box, grab it with your fist with your hand flush agianst the wall and extend your thumb all the way out, and cut off it at the end of your thumb. thats how much wire needs to be in the box. Im sure there are plenty of other ways to do it but thats how i was taught.

Other people have their own opinions, but i was taught when the wire was pulled out through the box, grab it with your fist with your hand flush agianst the wall and extend your thumb all the way out, and cut off it at the end of your thumb. thats how much wire needs to be in the box. Im sure there are plenty of other ways to do it but thats how i was taught.
That’s a pretty good “rule-of-thumb”, no pun intended. Code requires a minimum of 6” from the face of the box. You can certainly add to that and fold your wires in neatly. The big thing is to be able to have the device and the wire in the box with no pressure on the 6-32 screws that hold the device in place and no pinching of the wires.

When doing the rough in wiring this is the way I was taught. Cut off the outer sheathing of the romex approximately 12 inches from the the end of the wires past the box, push the wires through the box until a 1/2 inch of the outer sheathing is inside the box, secure the romex outside of the box about 2 inches from the box. to finalize the receptacle or switch, cut the wires between 5 and 6 inches hanging out of the box. This will give you enough wire so that when you put the fixture in the box they will fold back.

That’s a pretty good “rule-of-thumb”, no pun intended. Code requires a minimum of 6” from the face of the box. You can certainly add to that and fold your wires in neatly. The big thing is to be able to have the device and the wire in the box with no pressure on the 6-32 screws that hold the device in place and no pinching of the wires.
That’s where I’m having trouble. The outlet feels like there’s too much pressure on the back. I don’t think I’ve got too much wiring in there; it’s just not very easy to bend.

That’s where I’m having trouble. The outlet feels like there’s too much pressure on the back. I don’t think I’ve got too much wiring in there; it’s just not very easy to bend.
I’d have to see a picture. FWIW if I’m using old work or cut in boxes I go as deep as the wall will accept. I like to have plenty of room.

My Dads been an electrician for 35+ years (started straight outta high school)

He's been slowly teaching me the trade, he never puts tape on the receptacle unless its hanging out of the wall on a pigtail like @Zorba said.

Nothing wrong with putting tape on imo, only thing would be that you have to take the tape off and that would be pretty nerve wracking if it's hot.

Reactions: Zorba