HPTuners MPVI2—it looks like it is possible to program 42RLE shift points

HPTuners supports ALL TJs. I use Syked software for my tuning my 2004, but Syked does not have as much community support. I have considered going to HPT, but I'm slowly learning more about Syked.

It's only recently that HPTuners started supporting all TJs. It used to be they only supported 05-06 models, but within the past year (I think it was the past year) they started supporting 97-06, thank goodness.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I thought all this HP tuners stuff only applied to 05-06 NGC PCM's.

No, it works for all 97-06 PCMs.

Im not aware of any meaningful tuning on a JTEC PCM but im here to be proven wrong if anyone knows of anything.

You haven't been reading what I've been saying in a number of threads about the FRP tune? I installed it on my 2003 Rubicon several weeks ago and it totally transformed the way my Jeep drives. This is arguably the best $350 I've ever spend on my Jeep.

You might think I'm just exaggerating, but I promise, I'm not. They were seeing 15 WHP gains with just the tune alone, and I believe it too. My 4.0 feels so much more peppy and awake now.

For clarity, it’s for 05/06 only where the TCM is integrated.

I need to try changing some stuff in the transmission and verify if Syked can alter stock settings.

I have 5.38s in mine with 35s and don't think I would as happy with the 42rle with any less gear and the stock motor. When I get around to building the stroker I think 5.13s or maybe even 4.88s would work fine, but not worth the change.

Anyone know if a wranglerfix pcm would accept a tune?

It will accept one, yes. However, @Wranglerfix will need to chime in and address whether or not it would write over any software updates they've done.

My understanding is that Mark has fixed the issue with the 05-06 PCMs, so if you wrote a tune to one of those, it would most definitely overwrite changes he and his tech have made. However, if you have a PCM prior to 05-06, I don't think Mark is doing anything to those other than making sure they are functional, coded to your VIN, and running the latest software version.

It will accept one, yes. However, @Wranglerfix will need to chime in and address whether or not it would write over any software updates they've done.

My understanding is that Mark has fixed the issue with the 05-06 PCMs, so if you wrote a tune to one of those, it would most definitely overwrite changes he and his tech have made. However, if you have a PCM prior to 05-06, I don't think Mark is doing anything to those other than making sure they are functional, coded to your VIN, and running the latest software version.
I have an 06 /:
After reading about your success with a tune, I have been curious about tuning mine! I will see if Mark responds.

You haven't been reading what I've been saying in a number of threads about the FRP tune? I installed it on my 2003 Rubicon several weeks ago and it totally transformed the way my Jeep drives. This is arguably the best $350 I've ever spend on my Jeep.
I must have missed this. You use HP tuners?

I wouldnt expect mark at Wrangler fix to warranty the PCM after the tune.

A tune can make a huge difference. I haven't gone down the path yet for my Wrangler, but I did but a trifecta tune for my Colorado. It made a huge difference in drivability. The 3.6 is lacking in torque and Chevy didn't put deep enough gears in the truck (sounds familiar?).

The tune fixes the hunting issue the transmission does and it adds a noticable amount of power. Not just top end power, but power across the whole RPM range.

I must have missed this. You use HP tuners?

I wouldnt expect mark at Wrangler fix to warranty the PCM after the tune.
Yes, I do use HPTuners. I've used it on several past vehicles, but on my TJ as well.

I purchased the pre-canned tune from FRP since Ryan (who owns FRP) spend years perfecting it from what he has told me, and he has a lot of experience working for Chrysler themselves and the guys who designed the TJ.

I can tell you that his canned tune is absolutely excellent. I didn't think it would be that noticeable when I installed it on mine, but I was really shocked at how much it's improved the drivability. The throttle response is so much better, it pulls harder, and I can definitely feel it in the butt dyno. After installing this tune and living with it for weeks now, it's obvious to me how much Chrysler detuned the stock 4.0, and I can understand why. The fact that that 4.0 made it all the way until 2006 is a marvel in and of itself. That thing is so archaic and outdated in terms of emissions that they had no choice but to neuter the thing via software.

It made a huge difference in drivability.

That's where you'll notice it most with this FRP tune. It made my 4.0 so much more enjoyable to drive. The throttle response is much more crisp, it feels like it pulls harder in all the gears, and it honestly just feels like the engine has a lot more pep to it now.

Ryan claims they saw a 15 WHP gain multiple times on a Mustang dyno with this tune on a bone stock TJ. That is with stock wheels and tires of course, but that's impressive nonetheless.

That's where you'll notice it most with this FRP tune. It made my 4.0 so much more enjoyable to drive. The throttle response is much more crisp, it feels like it pulls harder in all the gears, and it honestly just feels like the engine has a lot more pep to it now.

Ryan claims they saw a 15 WHP gain multiple times on a Mustang dyno with this tune on a bone stock TJ. That is with stock wheels and tires of course, but that's impressive nonetheless.
Ok pardon me cuz I'm a little slow. I've always ignored the tunes because I assumed y'all tuning were boosted. You're saying I can tune my stock 4.0 and not do anything retarded like blow a head gasket? Just buy tuner and run canned tune? To be clear I don't know shit about engine tuning.

Ok pardon me cuz I'm a little slow. I've always ignored the tunes because I assumed y'all tuning were boosted. You're saying I can tune my stock 4.0 and not do anything retarded like blow a head gasket? Just buy tuner and run canned tune? To be clear I don't know shit about engine tuning.

Yes, that's absolutely what I am saying.

You need an HPTuners MPVI2 and a license (which is 2 credits), which will set you back about $400.

Then you'll need an FRP canned tune, which will be $350.

This assumes you have a bone stock 4.0, no boost or anything.

And yes, the difference you'll notice will be night-and-day.

Yes, that's absolutely what I am saying.

You need an HPTuners MPVI2 and a license (which is 2 credits), which will set you back about $400.

Then you'll need an FRP canned tune, which will be $350.

This assumes you have a bone stock 4.0, no boost or anything.

And yes, the difference you'll notice will be nice-and-day.
Fuck ya, I'm on board

Reactions: Jamison C and Chris