HPTuners MPVI2—it looks like it is possible to program 42RLE shift points

A tune can make a huge difference. I haven't gone down the path yet for my Wrangler, but I did but a trifecta tune for my Colorado. It made a huge difference in drivability. The 3.6 is lacking in torque and Chevy didn't put deep enough gears in the truck (sounds familiar?).

The tune fixes the hunting issue the transmission does and it adds a noticable amount of power. Not just top end power, but power across the whole RPM range.

So what's the trade off with aftermarket tunes? More emissions? There is no free lunch usually with these type of things ..

Is this the correct product? It says 04-20. But does look like if you buy device and tune as package get $50 discount (controlller alone $300, tune alone $350). Sorry @Chris I know asked about this in different thread but want to be certain before I swipe.

http://www.frptuning.com/product-p/hpt0418.htm

7622A16D-E558-44B5-B93A-19F63C0C96EB.jpeg

I wish I had a 42RLE equipped TJ to drive with and without a tune.

I do however believe you, only because after seeing how much this FRP tune has transformed my 4.0, I am a believer.
So what's the trade off with aftermarket tunes? More emissions? There is no free lunch usually with these type of things ..
It can result in more emissions if you alter the power enrichment settings, fuel cut offs and timing to that extreme. It can also result in improved fuel economy while adding a significantly noticeable boost in power.
You could look at increasing the timing to a point that you need 93 octane- I guess that would be a negative, but even with it tuned for 87 the increase is noticeable.
The only downside is your Jeep will not be as tolerable to environmental conditions. Think of it this way, Jeeps are sold globally and must perform ok everywhere. All you are looking to do is make it perform the best in your specific conditions. On my tunes it’s all upside or else I’m doing something wrong.

Reactions: psrivats
Depends on the tune. The hardware and software to tune just allows you to have the ability to do so. Ideally, an aftermarket tune on a stock TJ would run things a little closer to the edge with less safety margins i.e. a little more timing, maybe a little leaner at WOT and some places under the curve. Also, depending on who you ask, the factory wasn't so thorough in some parts of the factory tune where driveability is concerned. I'm sure the factory engineers would disagree, but better driveability is one thing a lot of tuners tout.

All that too say a well tuned PCM/ECU should have the same if not better emissions.

Where running really comes in is where you start modifying stuff. Getting it to run like stock with different parts I think is what most people want i.e. tinkering with shift points on bigger tires. Or making your stroked out higher compression engine with a big cam run correctly.

For my Colorado, I've noticed a couple of things with the tune. the 1-2 shift is more noticeable, i.e. firmer than factory. Sometimes, if I rush the "start up" the engine will rev. What I mean by that is if I fire up the truck in the morning and don't wait a few seconds (like 30), before shifting into reverse, the engine will rev before the transmission catches up. The sole reason I bought the tune is that in certain situations, my truck would not cruise in overdrive on the highway (hold 7th), or it would hunt between 7 and 8 gear. I took it in for warranty, the dealership confirmed the "issue" but also told me it was a non-issue. So, I purchased the tune. It fixed that problem by creating a bit more torque and power and adjusting shift points. I tried the 350 dollar solution before I went down the path of re-gearing. Glad I did.

The tune, from what I understand, bumps timing a little bit, leans out the maps a little. They recommend Premium Fuel, so they are probably advancing the timing quite a bit and relying on the knock sensor more than OEM would. I've run it both ways. Premium will perform better. When I first installed the tune, I did some "testing" using the Ulysses GPS app. I pulled a 7.x second 0-60 run. Factory is over 8 seconds. I don't remember the quarter mile times, but it was also impressively fast for a lifted pickup truck with "only" a V6.

Additionally, I return about 1.5 MPG better, on average, running the tune...so far. Now, I will need to run it through the winter to really tell. I installed the tune in march this year, right about the same time they go from winter to summer blend in Michigan. The mileage improvement could be related to that.

Reactions: psrivats
Welp, there goes $350 I wasn’t planning on spending this week.

You need an HPTuners MPVI2 as well, so another $350 on top of the $350 for the tune.

Unless you know someone locally who has one, then you'll just need to pay $50 for a license fee to use theirs.

We have figured out how to tune our 05-06 pcm.

However, the legal ramifications, “for off-road purposes only,” etc. must be ironclad before it can be offered.

P.S.

It’s nice! 💪🏻✅
Does this mean that there may be a chance for supercharger support on a Wranglerfix pcm?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I am researching all legal angles at this moment. The pros and cons keep me up at night.
Since this is much of the reason I’ve held off on a supercharger I’m excited. I’d hate to invest in one and then have my PCM fail.

Curious to see how the research ends up.

I’d think adding a supercharger is lawful enough and should be supportable.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Off road only on the box and an off road only sticker on the PCM.

Didn't certain Banks turbo kits have similar warnings?
I’d send in a release of liability for their records if that meant the difference between a functioning vs non-functioning Jeep.