HVAC blower motor resistor replacement

I gotta laugh at the thought of trying to "build a better mouse trap". Rather than trying to find a way around replacing the actual cause of hot wires and/or blown resistors, maybe, just maybe replacing the part that actually causes those conditions is the correct solution! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I gotta laugh at the thought of trying to "build a better mouse trap". Rather than trying to find a way around replacing the actual cause of hot wires and/or blown resistors, maybe, just maybe replacing the part that actually causes those conditions is the correct solution! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ok, since you know so much about it - and I admit that I do not - what are we supposed to replace? I've been given to understand - rightly or wrongly - that this is just an endemic problem with the design. If its the motor that is drawing too much current, maybe the motor is crap to start with since "they all do that" from what I've been told.

what are we supposed to replace?
If its the motor that is drawing too much current
I'm no motor expert but according to my armchair reasoning motors draw more current for more load.

Watch the systemic problem be everyone's cabin filters are so clogged up it can't move any air without burning up 😆

Actually... Now I want to fish a borescope in there to check out my heater core. Maybe there really is some blockage somewhere...

But just to continue overanalyzing this (because why not, it's after my bedtime and this is the internet where we can all say whatever we want), the whole electrical loop is on a 15A fuse I believe. So they should have designed it to be able to handle at least 15A (the fuse ought to be the weak link). So if the fuse isn't blowing yet other stuff is frying then that smells like a poor design to me.

Last edited:
Ok, since you know so much about it - and I admit that I do not - what are we supposed to replace? I've been given to understand - rightly or wrongly - that this is just an endemic problem with the design. If its the motor that is drawing too much current, maybe the motor is crap to start with since "they all do that" from what I've been told.
Yes the motor drawing too much amperage is the most common problem. Secondary to that is corroded connections, then deteriorated wiring. Use of substandard replacement parts can add to these issues. If you haven't figured it out yet, the more you dive into repairs and maintenance, Jeep did not do us a whole lot of favors when it comes to the electrical and computer side of our beloved TJs. They are very picky as to what we put in them. OEM, although getting harder and harder to find is, in a lot of instances the only thing that will work properly. especially when it comes to sensors and in this case fan motor.

Reactions: Zorba
I'm no motor expert but according to my armchair reasoning motors draw more current for more load.

Watch the systemic problem be everyone's cabin filters are so clogged up it can't move any air without burning up 😆

Actually... Now I want to fish a borescope in there to check out my heater core. Maybe there really is some blockage somewhere...
Interesting thought, too bad TJs didn't come with cabin air filters. Heater core blockage will definitely result in lower velocity air coming out the vents but I don't thing it would impose a higher load on the fan motor. Of course I could be wrong.:unsure:

Oops! You're discovering how new I am to Jeep ownership.
Filtration might be able to help prolong fan motor life though if you really wanted to dive into that... A cabin air filter would stop a lot of dust from building up on the actual blower. As for the motor itself, being exposed to elements on the outside of the firewall, I'm not sure if there is anything that could be or needs to be sealed from dust/mud? I honestly didn't look that close at mine when I changed it out last fall to see if there were any openings in the motor case. I just vacuumed out the heater box as best I could and replaced motor, resistor, resistor wiring, and fan speed switch.

Reactions: thomat65
Yes the motor drawing too much amperage is the most common problem. Secondary to that is corroded connections, then deteriorated wiring. Use of substandard replacement parts can add to these issues. If you haven't figured it out yet, the more you dive into repairs and maintenance, Jeep did not do us a whole lot of favors when it comes to the electrical and computer side of our beloved TJs. They are very picky as to what we put in them. OEM, although getting harder and harder to find is, in a lot of instances the only thing that will work properly. especially when it comes to sensors and in this case fan motor.
I'm not trying to argue here but in my case the OEM resistor block failed. Its connector looks really good, although it's the only one I've looked at so far. And I'm not really sure what actually caused its failure. You can see my pictures of it a couple of posts back.

Would you say something is probably up with the motor? If so the only issue that comes to mind is bad bearings causing increased friction. But I don't think that's the case because the fan sounds good when it runs.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm not trying to argue here but in my case the OEM resistor block failed. Its connector looks really good, although it's the only one I've looked at so far. And I'm not really sure what actually caused its failure. You can see my pictures of it a couple of posts back.

Would you say something is probably up with the motor? If so the only issue that comes to mind is bad bearings causing increased friction. But I don't think that's the case because the fan sounds good when it runs.
If you're not seeing any signs of wire fatigue (excessive heat) at the plugs, you might just have a faulty resistor, it happens. Now if you keep replacing resistor after resistor and you are using an OEM resistor, then you might have a high amp draw or possibly a poor ground issue.

Reactions: thomat65 and Zorba
I'm going to guess - and that's what it is - a GUESS - that the resistor pack is a marginal design that didn't account for a wider variation of motor current draw. It would be expected that an otherwise operating motor would tend to draw slightly - emphasis on slightly - more current as it gets older, esp. if it has sub-standard bearings. *shrug* Yea, if its melting wires and control knobs, that's one thing, but if its burning up resistor packs "occasionally" that's another.

My jeep had its r-pack replaced just before I took delivery of it. Was that the original pack that had failed? Who knows. A friend had a TJ back in the day, and he replaced the r-packs so often that he carried a spare in the glove box and had the procedure down to 30 seconds or less.

If this problem is as common as I've heard it is, its indicative of a fundamental design problem, be it with the motor, R-pack or both. As a brand new Jeep owner, I'm discovering that there are several sub-optimal design issues - particularly with the radiator and heater core. I don't like fixing things twice.

I'm going to guess - and that's what it is - a GUESS - that the resistor pack is a marginal design that didn't account for a wider variation of motor current draw. It would be expected that an otherwise operating motor would tend to draw slightly - emphasis on slightly - more current as it gets older, esp. if it has sub-standard bearings. *shrug* Yea, if its melting wires and control knobs, that's one thing, but if its burning up resistor packs "occasionally" that's another.

My jeep had its r-pack replaced just before I took delivery of it. Was that the original pack that had failed? Who knows. A friend had a TJ back in the day, and he replaced the r-packs so often that he carried a spare in the glove box and had the procedure down to 30 seconds or less.

If this problem is as common as I've heard it is, its indicative of a fundamental design problem, be it with the motor, R-pack or both. As a brand new Jeep owner, I'm discovering that there are several sub-optimal design issues - particularly with the radiator and heater core. I don't like fixing things twice.
IMO the biggest issue is they wired and built "to design specs", instead of allowing for a variance. What some people might call overkill. Using "adequate" wiring/circuitry instead of something that would carry more current than the circuit protection allowed for.

IMO the biggest issue is they wired and built "to design specs", instead of allowing for a variance. What some people might call overkill. Using "adequate" wiring/circuitry instead of something that would carry more current than the circuit protection allowed for.
Yea - that's what I'm trying to say. You're more eloquent than I am, I babble too much! I was taught to always design in a margin, and it looks like Jeep didn't always do that.

Yea - that's what I'm trying to say. You're more eloquent than I am, I babble too much! I was taught to always design in a margin, and it looks like Jeep didn't always do that.
There has been a "better mouse trap" around for a while that some others in the forum have done to combat letting the factory smoke out of the wiring harness. Running a separate relay bank between the switch and the fan, ultimately improving the ground path with heavier wiring. By improving that part of the circuit it drastically reduces the heat at the resistor pack and switches, which is what causes premature burn out of components.

I'll do a search - I'm always looking for a better mousetrap. Things don't work so good after you let the smoke out. Funny thing about smoke from burning electronics: It doesn't matter what the era of the electronics is, it all smells the same when its burning up! Doesn't matter if its vacuum tube stuff or the latest digital micro-electronics, or anything in-between.

Reactions: reddvltj
I'll do a search - I'm always looking for a better mousetrap. Things don't work so good after you let the smoke out. Funny thing about smoke from burning electronics: It doesn't matter what the era of the electronics is, it all smells the same when its burning up! Doesn't matter if its vacuum tube stuff or the latest digital micro-electronics, or anything in-between.
Check this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ypass-critique-my-diagrams.34800/#post-570923

Reactions: thomat65 and Zorba
I have read this entire thread and there was little discussion about removing the motor other than replacing a burned out motor. Why not remove the fan motor to perform maintenance by blowing the dust and debris out of the motor windings then lightly lubricate the bearing/bushing of the motor armature. Certainly this would decrease the amperage drawn by the motor and prolong the life of the fan motor, wiring harness and resistor.

That actually might be a great idea, if the bearings can be lubricated that is. I have no idea...

The shaft penetrates the motor casing so you should be able to apply a couple drips of light weight oil to lubricate that motor bearing/bushing. The other end may be slightly more difficult, but still doable....