I-6 coming back to Jeep!

And thus things come full circle: "Hurricane". I wish them the very best with this, I hope its reliable. 500 HP is ridiculous in my book, but "whatever". Aluminum block with "coated" cylinder walls sounds scary - but time will tell either way.

The cylinder coating doesn't actually scare me that much...it's not completely new as it's been employed by BMW, Ford, and Caterpillar already, and it's basically welding so I don't think the coating is going anywhere.

But with it's promise of 90% of peak torque available throughout the RPM range, you can bet your britches it's gasoline direct injection and that's what pushes me off it. I've owned one of those and it hasn't been long enough for me to forget how shitty it was from a reliability standpoint.

The cylinder coating doesn't actually scare me that much...it's not completely new as it's been employed by BMW, Ford, and Caterpillar already, and it's basically welding so I don't think the coating is going anywhere.

But with it's promise of 90% of peak torque available throughout the RPM range, you can bet your britches it's gasoline direct injection and that's what pushes me off it. I've owned one of those and it hasn't been long enough for me to forget how shitty it was from a reliability standpoint.
Why is it so unreliable?

Reactions: 5632 and Zorba

BMW doesn't impress me that much, Ford little more - BUT - if Cat is using it, its got my attention. GDI "shouldn't be" any more unreliable than anything else, but in these days of shit engineering, the proof will be in the pudding. I'm not a particular fan of turbocharged gasoline engines, but they "can" be OK if designed carefully.

BMW doesn't impress me that much, Ford little more - BUT - if Cat is using it, its got my attention. GDI "shouldn't be" any more unreliable than anything else, but in these days of shit engineering, the proof will be in the pudding. I'm not a particular fan of turbocharged gasoline engines, but they "can" be OK if designed carefully.
Gotta agree with you there, Zorb. I ran a big BMW with the twin turbo 4.4 liter. It was definitely a rocket ship.

450 ponies.

460 torque.

0-60 in 4.5.

Valve seals.

$10,000+ Repair.

Twice……

Gotta agree with you there, Zorb. I ran a big BMW with the twin turbo 4.4 liter. It was definitely a rocket ship.

450 ponies.

460 torque.

0-60 in 4.5.

Valve seals.

$10,000+ Repair.

Twice……
Having owned an E39 M5, E46 M3, E36 M3, and E30 M3, don’t even get me started on BMWs and repair costs or even part costs.

Amazing cars to drive when they are working. The problem is they have issues all the damn time. Most are minor electric issues, but repairing them is a rich man’s game.

This video does a good job of explaining it.

Yes, no, maybe...

He's certainly right about the issues - but they've all been solved for well nigh 100 years now. Yea - traditional gasoline engine design won't cut it - those engineers need to go have a chat with the boys in the diesel division. If they're still using 2 rings plus 1 oil ring with that kind of pressure/use, of course they're going to get substandard results, etc, etc, blah, blah...

Of course, the real solution is to stop fooling around with gasoline engines to start with and use diesels from the get-go! That's my solution to the world's problems! :D ;)

I see Ford trucks with the “eco boost” engines north of 300k and still running

Saw a 3.5 in a Transit van with 450k and still going.

That said, turbo anything, not a fan myself

I see Ford trucks with the “eco boost” engines north of 300k and still running

Saw a 3.5 in a Transit van with 450k and still going.

That said, turbo anything, not a fan myself
My new to me work truck has a 3.5L twin turbo Ecoboost. It is a lot more responsive than the 5.7L HEMI in my Ram. It ha just over 111k on it and as of right now it runs great.

Reactions: OFF2BFE
Yes, no, maybe...

He's certainly right about the issues - but they've all been solved for well nigh 100 years now. Yea - traditional gasoline engine design won't cut it - those engineers need to go have a chat with the boys in the diesel division. If they're still using 2 rings plus 1 oil ring with that kind of pressure/use, of course they're going to get substandard results, etc, etc, blah, blah...

Of course, the real solution is to stop fooling around with gasoline engines to start with and use diesels from the get-go! That's my solution to the world's problems! :D ;)

Cause I'm sure none of the engineers in any of the worlds car makers in the last 15 years have thought of that...

My gas turbo DI experienced the low speed preignition issue. A coworker of mine had codes and a rough idle from timing chain stretch on a 3.5 Ecoboost with 80k miles. Why even use a chain at all if it's lifespan is reduced to the same range as a belt?

Don't get me wrong, I love the way they drive. But they have to be designed and controlled down to the bees dick to not destroy themselves, and at best you have a well-running maintenance whore that costs more in upkeep than you could ever hope to save in whatever fuel you're not burning by having a gas turbo DI V6 instead of a V8.

Thanks, I’ll check this out. I’ve never dealt with this before.

Reliability may have been the wrong word. I'm sure that like anything, they can be kept up so as not to strand you. But that level of upkeep is significantly more than with a traditional, even turbo, gasoline engine.

Reactions: Chris
Cause I'm sure none of the engineers in any of the worlds car makers in the last 15 years have thought of that...
Obviously not if they are indeed having these kinds of problems. I'm not a mechanical engineer by any means, but "from where I sit" it sure looks like the same kind of thing is going on in that field as is going on in mine (computer hardware/software). In my field, there is so much crap being put out where the fundamentals are being COMPLETELY ignored that it stopped being funny years ago. I used to say that it was obvious that a shit ton of software was written by code monkeys that didn't pass Computer Science-101. Now I'm convinced that much of it was written by idiots that didn't even TAKE CS-101, never mind comprehending the basics or passing the course! Just basic concepts that "everybody" knows to avoid certain problems that infest much of modern code. I would have been fired for cause if I had ever written code as bad as some that I see every day.

So it looks to me like the ME field is plagued by the same kind of issues - avoiding damage in an engine from compression ignition at idle has been well understood for a century. These problems shouldn't exist, nor should any reputable company ship a product where it does. But such is today's world. "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

One thing you can see on the aftermarket tuner sites is the Fords have more room for additional HP and torque than other manufacturers.
I’ve been told by the engineers on the tuner end, this is because Ford under-stresses their engines compared to other manufacturers.
Instant torque just off idle all the way to red line sure is nice, but at what cost?

Still not a huge fan of turbo engines for long term (just my opinion) but when you see lots of them with big miles you have to wonder if they have it right… mostly.