I-6 coming back to Jeep!

I don't know what rock you've been living under but you'll run out of money to buy computers from Mark at Wranglerfix long before he runs out of computers.
Thanks for that bit if info. I bookmarked his site for later. Buying a spare PCM is on my list of things to stock up on.

I think it's neat to have an i-6 back in a Jeep for the low end torque. The V6 engines are just gutless down low, zero low end torque.
If the new I-6 is built for torque. There's nothing that says an I-6 will have lots of torque - nor nothing that says a V6 can't.

I still wonder if it'll go into the Wrangler (irrespective of # of doors) without them stretching the vehicle a little and making the engine bay bigger in size. Maybe that's what is in store for the mid cycle refresh in the JLs?
In answer to the question can it go in the Wrangler and Gladiator...

"The new powerplant will fit into any vehicle currently sold that has a longitudinal engine."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39530125/stellantis-twin-turbo-inline-six-specs-details/

It's almost like the shape of that cover is to make it look more like the V engines that their customers are used to. It makes no sense on an inline 6.

1648520973292.png

Reactions: reddvltj
And thus things come full circle: "Hurricane". I wish them the very best with this, I hope its reliable. 500 HP is ridiculous in my book, but "whatever". Aluminum block with "coated" cylinder walls sounds scary - but time will tell either way.
Well said Zorb- they don’t need 500hp, just around 75-100 more than they have now- I cannot for the life of me figure out why they can’t read Goldilocks and the 3 bears.

Last edited:
Well said Zorb- they don’t need 500hp, just around 75-100 more than they have now- I cannot for the life of me figure out why they can’t read Goldilocks and the 3 bears.
Considering they plan on replacing some of the Hemi V8s, the need for those HP and Torque numbers is there. Also there are 2 versions, the 500 hp and a 400 hp. My guess is the 500hp will be an option package on the trucks and a model classification on the cars.... Kind of like the R/T vs the SRT, vs, the Hellcat... THe Hellcat will most likely be the one to keep the V8 power plant. The HD trucks REALLY need gas alternative to the 6.4 that currently fills the non-diesel segment in Ram HD trucks... That 6.4 may as well be a boat anchor with fuel prices as high as they are right now and the shameful MPG it gets.

Reactions: AndyG
Considering they plan on replacing some of the Hemi V8s, the need for those HP and Torque numbers is there. Also there are 2 versions, the 500 hp and a 400 hp. My guess is the 500hp will be an option package on the trucks and a model classification on the cars.... Kind of like the R/T vs the SRT, vs, the Hellcat... THe Hellcat will most likely be the one to keep the V8 power plant. The HD trucks REALLY need gas alternative to the 6.4 that currently fills the non-diesel segment in Ram HD trucks... That 6.4 may as well be a boat anchor with fuel prices as high as they are right now and the shameful MPG it gets.
The 400 version would make for a great JLUR powerplant- this may be a significant deal.

The 4.0 I6 is legendary, even though it isn’t that great. It is still, to this day, a selling point in a TJ- imagine if they made similar numbers.

The 400 version would make for a great JLUR powerplant- this may be a significant deal.

The 4.0 I6 is legendary, even though it isn’t that great. It is still, to this day, a selling point in a TJ- imagine if they made similar numbers.
I'm honestly curious why they didn't spend more time and research on the i6 before now. The world has known for a long time the capabilities of a well built i6 thanks to Toyota and the 2jz engine lineup...

I'm honestly curious why they didn't spend more time and research on the i6 before now. The world has known for a long time the capabilities of a well built i6 thanks to Toyota and the 2jz engine lineup...
I think packaging was a big one, as well as cost of development. Easier to just stick a V8 in multiple vehicles. I think now with emissions requirements manufacturers are forced to develop turbo direct injection engines in place of older designs.