I get why people are buying $50K+ new Wranglers

Take a look at "lightly used" commercial trucks. For the same price or probably better, you'll get a LOT more truck with less crap and "technology".

While you are correct, I’ve had a truck with 19.5’s and the 450 is a good compromise.

And I don’t need to get a class B for a commercial truck.

If it was a tow rig, you are 100% on it. But my truck will be part of the farm, tow rig and family truck.

Reactions: Zorba
Yeah, but... some of us actually like the comfort and features that come in modern full size trucks :)
I'm waaaay too cheap to want to pay for, or maintain the crap - and too much of a curmudgeon to want to deal with nonsense that's not directly related to usability or comfort. Comfortable cloth seats? Check. Good ride? Check - if there is such a thing in a truck and it isn't some overthought, unreliable, expensive crap. Electronic gizmos, touch screens, cell phone MODEMs, leather, power seats/windows/locks/whatever? OH HELL NO!

I'm waaaay too cheap to want to pay for, or maintain the crap - and too much of a curmudgeon to want to deal with nonsense that's not directly related to usability or comfort. Comfortable cloth seats? Check. Good ride? Check - if there is such a thing in a truck and it isn't some overthought, unreliable, expensive crap. Electronic gizmos, touch screens, cell phone MODEMs, leather, power seats/windows/locks/whatever? OH HELL NO!
You do you :) I think you're in the minority though...

What I do is try to be patient.... wait until what I want has been in production for two or three years, buy a two year old one with 20k or less miles and 12 months left on the factory warranty, then add an extended warranty. Let the PO take the big hit on the depreciation for me.

Last edited:
I have been driving nice F150s as my company car for nearly 13 years. They are great and have helped me to rebuild my old house and tow my Jeep. However, the only say I have is the color. I recently was recruited for a job that I would get a car allowance. I thought about getting a Jeep but honestly kept coming back to the Ford or other large SUV. It just comes down to fitting my family and all our stuff.

That is one of the few new features I really want in a Jeep, if I could add it to my TJ I would!
It is funny, I have had cruise control on almost every vehicle I have had for the last 15 years or more (some I think are adaptive). I don't even know how to turn it on in any of them and I drive 23-25K/year.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I've never driven a vehicle with adaptive cruise, but I'd be willing to give it a try as I'm a cruise control junkie - its the *ONLY* "technology" I want in a vehicle, but I insist on it. I'll hit the cruise to drive a half mile under the right conditions.

With that said, it would remain to be seen if I liked adaptive CC or not. I'm not a "pack follower" in traffic, I want to go my set speed and will change lanes to do so. I'm either passing an entire "pack" or having a pack pass me, preferably the latter! Adaptive would slow me down if I wasn't paying attention. Its probably too expensive and gimmicky for my taste - but again, I'd be willing to try it. At this point though, the likelihood of my having that opportunity is vanishingly small. I'll live...

I've never driven a vehicle with adaptive cruise, but I'd be willing to give it a try as I'm a cruise control junkie - its the *ONLY* "technology" I want in a vehicle, but I insist on it. I'll hit the cruise to drive a half mile under the right conditions.

With that said, it would remain to be seen if I liked adaptive CC or not. I'm not a "pack follower" in traffic, I want to go my set speed and will change lanes to do so. I'm either passing an entire "pack" or having a pack pass me, preferably the latter! Adaptive would slow me down if I wasn't paying attention. Its probably too expensive and gimmicky for my taste - but again, I'd be willing to try it. At this point though, the likelihood of my having that opportunity is vanishingly small. I'll live...
I’ve hated it on many vehicles but it’s great on my truck, especially in traffic. Don’t have to touch anything set it on my desired speed and go.

It’ll limit me to whatever speed the car is in front of me and if I hit the turn signal to pass on the left it immediately speeds up if I was following a slower car. My trucks not a rocket but does pick up speed fairly rapidly being almost 500 HP so you do have to be somewhat careful.

It doesn’t turn off unless you hit the brake or the car ahead of you slows you down to 12 mph or less which it provides an audible alert for that.

It definitely can slow your trip down if you aren’t anticipating slower traffic and getting over to pass early enough but you learn to drive differently and rarely need to touch a pedal.

I need to play around with the exhaust brake settings and see how it all plays together.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rick Flair
I’ve hated it on many vehicles but it’s great on my truck, especially in traffic. Don’t have to touch anything set it on my desired speed and go.

It’ll limit me to whatever speed the car is in front of me and if I hit the turn signal to pass on the left it immediately speeds up if I was following a slower car. My trucks not a rocket but does pick up speed fairly rapidly being almost 500 HP so you do have to be somewhat careful.

It doesn’t turn off unless you hit the brake or the car ahead of you slows you down to 12 mph or less which it provides an audible alert for that.

It definitely can slow your trip down if you aren’t anticipating slower traffic and getting over to pass early enough but you learn to drive differently and rarely need to touch a pedal.

I need to play around with the exhaust brake settings and see how it all plays together.
Yea, exactly. I'm afraid that if I didn't notice the slowdown, I'd be following a pack like the rest of the idiots.

Reactions: Apparition
Yea, exactly. I'm afraid that if I didn't notice the slowdown, I'd be following a pack like the rest of the idiots.
Have to pay attention and anticipate, keeps you from tailgating.

I’ve noticed on interstate I set follow distance as close as possible to avoid this. In slower traffic I increase distance because I don’t have any room to move.

Dang I just built one on the website and it came out to $31k, I did the 2 door base model and the only thing I thought I needed to add was A.C., everything else is fine as is.

Have to pay attention and anticipate, keeps you from tailgating.

I’ve noticed on interstate I set follow distance as close as possible to avoid this. In slower traffic I increase distance because I don’t have any room to move.
I don't worry about following distance unless I just have to. I change lanes and pass instead.