I had to winch today. Got called out.

CptnMurica

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Was going up a nasty hill today ran into the rock of Gibraltar and had to go high left double winch. It was real muddy rock was wet. Too much for my suspension anyways. That would’ve torn me apart and high center no brain. Guy told me he goes up and over with stock tacomas and mild rigs. What is a mild rig? I got past it so meh.

321B321C-7DB2-464E-BFCC-5F942AC61EEF.jpeg

No issue pulling out the rope, many people wait too long to make that decision. Might be a moment to learn if there was a better way, might be a good time to tell others to pound sand.
The warn is great. Some of the best money I have spent on this one so far. I respool it after also. Always.

Last edited:
Keep in mind a lot of people bullshit in the 4x4 world.

You can test them by inquiring which line they run for that obstacle.. that should reveal a bullshitter or a learning moment.

Also... obstacles can differ with diff weather. Maybe he last ran that trail when it was dry... mud can change a trails difficulty.

With that said... the obstacle looks doable in a "mild" build.... but screw that guy.

You did good.

Keep in mind a lot of people bullshit in the 4x4 world.

You can test them by inquiring which line they run for that obstacle.. that should reveal a bullshitter or a learning moment.

Also... obstacles can differ with diff weather. Maybe he last ran that trail when it was dry... mud can change a trails difficulty.

With that said... the obstacle looks doable in a "mild" build.... but screw that guy.

You did good.
That’s what I was thinking. My jeep and I’m the one wheeling. Knee jerk was to just take me there and I’ll watch a stock tacoma go over it wet. I go to rodeos down here and them bull riders got balls of steel with a I don’t give a shit attitude.
Nobody to impress here but myself having fun and not snapping my rig up or getting hurt. But I’ll watch someone send it with a “I wouldn’t do that shit if I was you!” 😂

Yeah, didn't sound like they were being helpful, just being a jerk. It's your car and your call how to handle a situation, if you feel it's too risky to push through and need to winch, you 100% should do what you feel is best. Winches are there for a purpose and it looks like you made the right call.

Big difference between criticism and constructive criticism. But he most def didn't have anything useful to add. I hope you enjoyed the trail and didn't damage anything on your Jeep. :)

Reactions: CptnMurica
It is really is annoying when people are like that on the trail. I wheel with a few groups but I tend to stick to the Jeep groups not because I think Jeeps are better but because there seems to be less bashing. When someone on a Jeep runs starts up into that "oh those toyotas..." I always reply with something like "Man did you see those new TRDs they sure are nice or did you see the raptor now has a 37 package" normally quiets them up :)

Just a few things to consider
* Tire pressure - Make sure you air down. It is one of the biggest things you can do when going offroad to improve your performance. Rember your tires are the only thing making that ground contact. If they can't grip then nothing matters. People always are going off about how I make it through everything because I have lockers but the truth is my lockers are rarely on. It's because I'm at 6psi and they are at 15psi I'm also running good tires. The tire compound makes a huge difference and will vary depending on area on what is right for you.

* Lockers and traction aids - Likey those Toyota's had limited slips in the rear or lockers. It makes a huge difference. Again I'm on 35s with a pretty small lift but I go many places the JKs and JLs on 37-40s can't because I have lockers and aired down correctly. If you are totally open then you might need to give a small bump sometimes but there is a fine line between a bump and a full send :)

* There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with winching. I'm normally the first person to yell "let's hook up". So many people go one more bump, one more bigger bump, ok full throttle, and then you'd fixing axles, picking up pieces, etc. Heck winching is pretty fun.

I've winched my 4" lifted TJ on 32s up an obstacle right after my cousin walked up it in his Tacoma on 31s. We both had rear lockers. He even tried to spot me up the same line he took.

It happens. Some obstacles are just better suited for the characteristics of one vehicle over another. Maybe he's just a better wheeler than me. The difference though is he didn't gloat or give me a bunch of crap about it. We moved on and kept going. And then I went home and got a front locker, 35s, and 10" of wheelbase so if I fail the next time, there'll be no excuses for my driving skills 🤣

Last edited:
there are alot of places outside of the US where winching is just part of off-roading. Australia and the UK.

I look at my winch as a mod, I paid for it, its on the jeep, and it enables me to go further, or conquer tougher obstacles when required. In my mind it is not much different than lockers. I have gotten near vertical on a few waterfall climbs where it would have been more difficult or even dangerous to back down. Front end gets real light or the back wheels start hopping Thats when the winch comes out, and I don't feel bad about it, up and over I go.

It is really is annoying when people are like that on the trail. I wheel with a few groups but I tend to stick to the Jeep groups not because I think Jeeps are better but because there seems to be less bashing. When someone on a Jeep runs starts up into that "oh those toyotas..." I always reply with something like "Man did you see those new TRDs they sure are nice or did you see the raptor now has a 37 package" normally quiets them up :)

Just a few things to consider
* Tire pressure - Make sure you air down. It is one of the biggest things you can do when going offroad to improve your performance. Rember your tires are the only thing making that ground contact. If they can't grip then nothing matters. People always are going off about how I make it through everything because I have lockers but the truth is my lockers are rarely on. It's because I'm at 6psi and they are at 15psi I'm also running good tires. The tire compound makes a huge difference and will vary depending on area on what is right for you.

* Lockers and traction aids - Likey those Toyota's had limited slips in the rear or lockers. It makes a huge difference. Again I'm on 35s with a pretty small lift but I go many places the JKs and JLs on 37-40s can't because I have lockers and aired down correctly. If you are totally open then you might need to give a small bump sometimes but there is a fine line between a bump and a full send :)

* There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with winching. I'm normally the first person to yell "let's hook up". So many people go one more bump, one more bigger bump, ok full throttle, and then you'd fixing axles, picking up pieces, etc. Heck winching is pretty fun.
I agree. I let em down to like 20. I need to man up and drop it down for sure. My old tire gauge stops at 20. Just ordered one I can do that with. That’ll change things. If it was dry I would’ve just snailed right past it no doubt.

I agree. I let em down to like 20. I need to man up and drop it down for sure. My old tire gauge stops at 20. Just ordered one I can do that with. That’ll change things. If it was dry I would’ve just snailed right past it no doubt.
Drop em down to about 12

Reactions: CptnMurica