I have plans this weekend!

Looks like you have a fun weekend planed. Some instructions say to remove the TCase from the jeep but I did mine while it was still attached. It really isn't that bad of a job just make sure you take your time and put everything back in the right spot. I always take photos during disassembly so when I have a brain fart I have a point of reference.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and JMT
I took mine out and handed it to my transmission guy, but I wanted him to replace bearings/seals, chain and give it a good once over. I wasn't up to that task. Cudos to you for tackling it. I hear you know a thing or three about mechanics and what not. :D

Reactions: Squatch and Alex01
A few months or maybe 6, I helped my B-I-L install a SYE in his 231 behind a NV3550. It looked heavier than it was when we removed it. We just put it on a folding plastic table so we could stand and work on it. We followed the simple directions (although we told our wives we didn't need to) and it was back together in about 2 hrs. We set it back on the floor jack and had it bolted in in about 15 minutes.

Reactions: JMT and ac_
So I told @bobthetj03 earlier that I wasn't going to do this while it was still in the Jeep, because I have never actually done that before, but I think I may attempt to do this while it is still in the Jeep. Unless I get in there and it is obviously in bad shape. I did drain the fluid last night and to be honest it was not great, so I don't have high hopes, but I am hoping to pull the back cover off of it tonight if I can get home at a decent hour, but if all looks good I may attempt to just do it in the vehicle.

Just make sure you support the weight of the engine/trans with a jack stand or jack before taking off the belly pan and you will be fine.

Reactions: ac_
Cold beer is the most important part of this process brah!
No kidding. It can give you courage to continue on...or drown your sorrows when you can't get it done right...or you can douse you and your wife after a victorious install!! Well, maybe not the wife, they frown on that sort of thing, having never won a World Series or such...

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and ac_
Yea but, AZ is a "dry heat." :meparto:

But then again, so is a pizza oven.....

@ac I think you’ll be fine. My weather channel app says a high of 91 Saturday and 93 Sunday in Peoria. You might have picked one if the last “good” weekends to do your Jeep.

But then again, so is a pizza oven.....

@ac I think you’ll be fine. My weather channel app says a high of 91 Saturday and 93 Sunday in Peoria. You might have picked one if the last “good” weekends to do your Jeep.
I hope you are right. although it doesn't matter I am too stoked not to do it. The heat usually determines how long something takes to complete not "if" it is going to happen.

Cold beer is the most important part of this process brah!
Beer AND JEEPS is almost enough reason to make an AZ road trip! In the end I’ll have my own beer and Jeep day at SWR Off-Road, a new adventure. Pics to come

Ok now I need some help.

I pulled the transfer case apart last night in the Jeep. The fluid is burnt. the bearing are still good and smooth and quiet, but the orings are rock hard for the inlet of the pump. I would like a new chain The collar has really sharp edges on it, and the gears are pretty black. I am not sure it is even worth it to rebuild this one. But there aren't any used ones locally and the only parts I can find go up to 96 online except for the chain.

Up in WA there are trans shops that also sell parts but I cannot find anything like that here and Napa has nothing, I mean nothing. They couldn't even suggest a different place to buy parts.

Does anybody know where I can buy parts for my 98 231J transfer case?

Well there goes my weekend. bah!

hmm I would love some dry heat right about now. Been raining here for 2 weeks and no plans on it letting out plus we already have a Tropical Storm (Alberto) and it is not hurricane season yet. It is a great sign of things to come LOL

LIfesaver, although this does put a damper on my weekend! Not your fault, but it will free me up to be an instigator on the forum over the weekend!

At least now you'll know everything in there will be fresh and trouble free.