I have plans this weekend!

Ok now I need some help.

I pulled the transfer case apart last night in the Jeep. The fluid is burnt. the bearing are still good and smooth and quiet, but the orings are rock hard for the inlet of the pump. I would like a new chain The collar has really sharp edges on it, and the gears are pretty black. I am not sure it is even worth it to rebuild this one. But there aren't any used ones locally and the only parts I can find go up to 96 online except for the chain.

Up in WA there are trans shops that also sell parts but I cannot find anything like that here and Napa has nothing, I mean nothing. They couldn't even suggest a different place to buy parts.

Does anybody know where I can buy parts for my 98 231J transfer case?

Well there goes my weekend. bah!
https://www.jbconversions.com/products/np231j/rebuild.php

Reactions: ac_
Well that's too bad about your transfer case. At least you found out about in your garage and not out in the middle of the hot Arizona sun in some remote area.
True that!

I am at work but secretly scouring looking for some used stuff. I found two people that rebuild these out of their garage. I have sent them emails to see if they have parts I can buy or cores I can rebuild or if they have anything rebuilt already laying around. Anything I can find to get this going this weekend. Crossing my fingers. It is hard to balance a work/Jeep balance. Especially when the Jeep is crying for attention.

True that!

I am at work but secretly scouring looking for some used stuff. I found two people that rebuild these out of their garage. I have sent them emails to see if they have parts I can buy or cores I can rebuild or if they have anything rebuilt already laying around. Anything I can find to get this going this weekend. Crossing my fingers. It is hard to balance a work/Jeep balance. Especially when the Jeep is crying for attention.
Good luck.....hope someone has something for you this weekend.

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Ok My plans are back on!

I found a guy that has a shop in his garage that builds transmissions and he has agreed to meet with me tomorrow to sell me the parts I need for my TC! Yaya!! Sounds like he has everything I need in stock. To bad it is way across town, but I will take anything I can get!!

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
Really I need the collar that shifts the 2/4 wheel (the big collar), I need a chain and both sprockets. I need a shift shaft seal, I need the o-ring for the oil pump. I would like to replace the plastic collar pieces, but they are actually still OK, but I will probably replace those at the same time. I also would like to replace the front output seal.

With pics!

What are your plans? Putting an RTT on your trailer?

I wish! Not much going on. Staying home mostly. Gotta change the oil in the motorhome and get it cleaned up for some glamping the following week. Might wash the jeep if I get ambitious. Drinking will most likely be involved.

Reactions: ac_
Ok My plans are back on!

I found a guy that has a shop in his garage that builds transmissions and he has agreed to meet with me tomorrow to sell me the parts I need for my TC! Yaya!! Sounds like he has everything I need in stock. To bad it is way across town, but I will take anything I can get!!
Nice!!

I wish! Not much going on. Staying home mostly. Gotta change the oil in the motorhome and get it cleaned up for some glamping the following week. Might wash the jeep if I get ambitious. Drinking will most likely be involved.
Like this JB??
washing jeep.jpg

You can change the oil on Monday. The mountains are calling.:para:

Reactions: bobthetj03
UPDATE:

I was able to secure the parts I needed to finish the rebuild. I decided to rebuild the TC inside the Jeep.

Here is what I found. I found the shift shaft seal leading, and the speedo housing leaking. I found a bad collar, and a bad pump o-ring. I also bought a new inner fork because I didn't inspect mine before driving out to the guys house and he had a brand new one so to be safe I bought a new one. I also bought the front output seal. He inspected my gears and chain and was happy with what they looked like, so we decided just to re-use them. This was Saturday morning.

IMG-0239.JPG

This is what it looked like torn apart in the TJ,

IMG-0240.JPG

You can see the aluminum fork in the back that is the one I replaced and I also replaced the pads on the front fork.

Here is the finished product:

IMG-0242.JPG

So all in all it went smoothly. I am glad I found a somewhat local guy that had parts for me. It did take care of all of my vibrations. It drives smooth as silk and my pinion angles are still slightly off. I have the new double adjustable control arms to get those aligned perfectly. Not sure when I am gong to do it now since it is not a rush now that it is smooth. I also replaced the fluid in the transmission at the same time.

Next project is the CA's and the zj steering upgrade. I already have those and they are painted and ready to go.

I quick note about the transfer case. I was able to do everything with it still bolted in the Jeep. I did it flat backing on a creeper. If I had a lift to do this on it probably would have went faster rebuilding it in the vehicle, but since I did it on my back, I am not sure I gained anything by not removing it and just doing it on the bench. It is nice to know that it was possible to do in the vehicle. I am really happy with it. I really like the SYE much much better than dropping the TC.