I tested out my front and rear Detroit Truetrac LSDs

ha funny!im actually stuck in michigan now but same thing,ice and snow...im originally from out there and half of th family is out there still so i always'go'there,montana idaho wyoming utah...i used to live in escondido in 79-

8B24EC45-A899-43B9-8ED9-CBA5C9DCA70C.jpeg

That's fair.

So why isn't the Dana 35/Tru-Trac limited slip in the rear combined with a Dana 30/locker up front combination suggested more often?

For my use (rocks a 33" tire can handle, trails, mud, sand, and snowy back roads) this would be the 2nd best set up. I think a TT in the rear makes a lot of sense for a street driven TJ up north. But I also think if one saves up a while longer and puts a selectable back there (for the dana 35, with a super 35 kit) anyone who wheels a lot will be better off and happier in the end. That's probably why TT rear isn't suggested more often.

Someone who wheels a lot will wish they had lockers eventually, and then constantly, as their skills improve and they tackle more difficult trails.

However, my advice to someone who only wheels occasionally would be to save your money, leave the rear alone, and put a lunchbox locker up front.

As a FYI, I recently came across that first video again and noticed the owner has since commented that he had the wrong gear oil - he had used lube with LSD additives. After changing gear oil to one without friction modifiers (per Eaton's recommendation), he says it works much better. Eaton says to use non-synthetic gear lube without friction modifiers (ie, limited slip additives), which you would normally want for a clutch-type LSD.

I've been using STP gear oil, which is conventional but doesn't say if there is friction modifier one way or the other. I have ordered Valvoline High Performance conventional gear oil, which very clearly states that it does NOT have friction modifier. We'll see if it makes any difference in performance. I'm skeptical but I need to change the oil anyway.

Here's a link to a pdf by Valvoline stating there are no limited slip additives:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/76f88e7f-fbbc-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1