I want to paint my wheels

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I want to paint the steelie rims on my Stone White TJ. Have to go rattle can.

My problem is that buying the little 8 oz. Dupli Color paint is going to be too expensive. Has anyone tried an off the shelf white spray paint and had any success in the whites being close enough in color not to scream "no match"?

Last edited:
Have you considered Plasti-Dip by chance? Never used it, but I hear good things.

As far as paint goes, I've never painted wheels, but I've used Krylon white spray paint for numerous applications and never had an issue with it.

Have you considered Plasti-Dip by chance? Never used it, but I hear good things.

As far as paint goes, I've never painted wheels, but I've used Krylon white spray paint for numerous applications and never had an issue with it.

I have used Plasti Dip on many occasions but ultimately I would like my wheels to be glossy. Living in Mexico makes name brand paints very expensive especially at Auto Zone. Every super market sells spray paint. Maybe the thing to do is buy a can of cheap white and see how close it is. I was really interested in whether anyone had already done it.

Reactions: Chris
Are the wheels steel or aluminum? If AL, be sure to use a good primer for AL. I painted some 9” mustang wheels a while back and watched a ChrisFix YouTube video. Worked out great especially using the index cards. I used a Dremel tool with a sanding disc. The wheels looked like the curb was a good friend. Rough. NAPA can mix a rattle can to match your vehicle. Just use a cheap white Krylon for the base coats then finish with the NAPA matching color,,,,that said i like flat black wheels for contrast