I Would Drive This Unimog To Work

Where a Tj with a Rubi crawler , 4:1 T-case , and 5.38 axle ratio puts you at what most people say is Too low at around 150: to 1.
The freaking Unimog with a super crawler has a 4000 : to 1 ratio. The idle speed doesn't really matter if your geared low enough.

All that goodness helps!

Just for fun, I plugged in the numbers at Grimm Jeeper for my Jeep vs the old GMC. With the TC in low, my Jeep has a lower 1st gear crawl ratio of 45 vs 36 for the GMC. However, the Jeep's 750 idle speed makes it creep along at 1.53 MPH vs the GMC's 1.26 MPH with its 450 RPM idle. If the Jeep idled at 450, it would creep along at .92 MPH. So all the extra gearing the Jeep has over the old GMC is for naught when it comes to lowest possible crawl speed.

It was an interesting exercise - but when your crawl ratio is 4000, you're right: It really doesn't matter!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoJeep and RINC
Yeah he's heavier and could drag me at 10x the speed too. Does it get better traction at that speed because whenever a wheel starts to slip there's time for grass to sprout between the tread blocks?

I see myself as living apart from most normal people. My experience is far from normal.

Have you ever needed a tow from a D11 Cat dozer up a grade out of a strip mine site because your motor powered out trying to haul a 120t load on the deck of your trailer?

Reactions: ColoJeep and Zorba
Where a Tj with a Rubi crawler , 4:1 T-case , and 5.38 axle ratio puts you at what most people say is Too low at around 150: to 1.
The freaking Unimog with a super crawler has a 4000 : to 1 ratio. The idle speed doesn't really matter if your geared low enough.

That's cool and all, but what are you doing when are driving 5 feet per hour/1.2 inches per minute? Milling steel?

I have read this many times now. I can't wrap my head around what it is you are asking here.

Just rough numbers, since 0.001 miles/hour doesn't mean anything to most people, it convers to 5 feet/hour or 1.2 inch/minute. That's stupid slow for most activities. My winch at full rated load pulls 4.8 feet/minute, which is 4x faster, and I can't picture where I'd want to go slower than that.

I searched for "slowest tractor speed" and got this: "Marvin’s 1951 8N “Fourtrans” is billed as “the slowest tractor in the world.” How slow is it? Well, in the lowest gear, it travels nine feet per hour (or nearly two inches every minute)."

So really, why does a mog need to go half the speed of the slowest tractor ever?

Just rough numbers, since 0.001 miles/hour doesn't mean anything to most people, it convers to 5 feet/hour or 1.2 inch/minute. That's stupid slow for most activities. My winch at full rated load pulls 4.8 feet/minute, which is 4x faster, and I can't picture where I'd want to go slower than that.

I searched for "slowest tractor speed" and got this: "Marvin’s 1951 8N “Fourtrans” is billed as “the slowest tractor in the world.” How slow is it? Well, in the lowest gear, it travels nine feet per hour (or nearly two inches every minute)."

So really, why does a mog need to go half the speed of the slowest tractor ever?

Reread what I quoted word for word that you posted.

Left out "you," sorry.
"but what are you doing when *you* are driving 5 feet per hour/1.2 inches per minute?"

That changes everything. (y)

Are you familiar with Chuck Converse? His wife runs Mason Converse Media on YouTube.

He has a stretched TJ running a 4-speed Atlas ll and a NV3550. Thier videos show he is into the deeper gears on a lot of obstacles. Can be heard by the high RPM's and the lack of going anywhere.