Ideas for keeping a clean and organized shop

Related in the theme- what are you using to keep track what tools is missing. I have decent amount of eclectic selection of sockets/ wrench’s . I have a 3 tier craftsman box and if I move my bigger stuff - pipe wrenchs ,pry tools out on to a peg board I probably have a lot of room to categorize drawers

this link has been pretty actice in my social algorithms…

https://toolboxwidget.com/

Those look pretty handy. My problem with pegboards is the pegs falling off all the time, plus you can't roll a peg board over to the vehicle but that's not a huge problem in a smaller garage/shop.

I need help, might need therapy, but let’s start with help. Looking for ideas, tips, widgets and gadgets that you found useful to keep your garage/shop clean.

My work bench is buried in stuff, tool box not well sorted, if it’s a flat surface I have stuff on it. I keep stuff, from cars I no longer have, because the possibility me having another air cooled VW is a real possibility… or my kids…or someone I know.

My wife says I have to many cars is there such a thing? I start a cleaning session and invariably I find that lost widget in my pile and get side track- (this part might work on the tractor). Attention deficit Disorder I think they call it 😄. anyhow appreciate any ideas, this winter I just have outdone myself and I need a serious spring clean day/week.

I store all my extra car parts in the attic.

I clean up the garage after every project, and often during the project. Everything has a place.

Reactions: HDRider
59B6124E-9AEF-4CFF-BFB9-3AA0DBB54C4C.jpeg

More bins

That's a nice size, you have tons of unused wall space. I used plywood on my walls instead of drywall so I can screw stuff in wherever, but my shelves are fastened to the studs. I used John Sterling heavy duty tracks with different lengths of supports so my lower shelves are not as deep as the uppers then pine boards for the actual shelves. Deep shelves are not always the best as stuff gets lost in the back. Pine boards make for the best and easiest shelving but if money is tight you can use MDF and put furring strips on the lower outside edge to strengthen them.
For the space over the door I made a rack to hold dimensional lumber on one side and sheet goods on the other side, then I made a simple pulley lift to store my camper shell on but I never use it for that, instead I store things up there and will probably be where I store my extra set of beach tires. Instead of rope and pulleys I use ratchet straps with safety chains in place, I can adjust the safety chains at any position with big S hooks.

Literally found a box of John Sterling tracks today as the weather was nice and started cleaning. No idea from where these brackets came from but I had them for awhile, never knew the brand until you posted, so now I can order some shelving brackets togo on these.👍

Literally found a box of John Sterling tracks today as the weather was nice and started cleaning. No idea from where these brackets came from but I had them for awhile, never knew the brand until you posted, so now I can order some shelving brackets togo on these.👍

You'll like them, they are really strong. Just use solid boards. I actually notched mine around the tracks to fit tight to the walls plus I cut pieces of 2x2 X 1/8" angle, drilled them and fastened them in the back to further support the shelves although I have plywood walls so I can screw them in anywhere.
In my tool room I used the John Sterling system set at work bench height and put 2x6s on them for a strong work surface but no legs to the ground.

Reactions: JustDandee
You're getting there, it's nice to see a working shop that doesn't look like a showroom, reminds me of mine! Try as I might it's tough to have a show room looking shop and actually get any work done so I gave up a long time ago and just try and keep things organized.
This weekend I came up with another idea for storing the suitcase style organizers since the rack I made is full. I have this Grizzly bending brake that fits in my 6" vise (they also make a 4") and a lot of trimmings from sheet steel so I bent up some brackets and fastened them to the underside of my lower shelves and screwed 3/8" plywood onto them from underneath with short screws, now I can fill more of those organizers and line them up under my shelves. They are fastened to the 3/4" pine shelves with carriage bolts that don't stick up very much on the shelf. As soon as I get more batteries for my label maker I will label them too. Just another idea in the never ending battle to stay organized so you spend less time looking for stuff and more time getting the job done

20230307_132556.jpg

20230307_132623.jpg

20230307_132702.jpg

20230307_132710.jpg

Reactions: JustDandee
How can you guys work with pegboard? I drives me crazy when the pegs always fall out when you are removing an item.

Reactions: hosejockey61
shop distractions
  1. vice grips patent pending 1942 a tool my grandpa gave me
  2. one of few wrenches that remain from my first tool kit I bought from 10,000 auto parts some 30 plus years ago
  3. baseball bat my late best friend offered up when we rolled the fenders on my sons GTI
distractions- good memories.

image.jpg

How can you guys work with pegboard? I drives me crazy when the pegs always fall out when you are removing an item.

By using actual 1/4" pegs. I bought these from an older gentleman years ago. They're rock solid and take a lot of effort to install or remove.

Any of the big box stores and the last time I looked online I could only find 1/8" garbage
20230308_214246.jpg

20230308_214157.jpg

Last edited: