If you could have any secondary vehicle what would you pick?

squatch do ya remember when ya set behind the steering wheel you set up not laid back like ya do in these newer vehicles
Absolutely. I also remember most of my rigs having manual steering and manual brakes. First time I ever drove a rig with power brakes, I damn near sent my passenger through the windshield! How about non-synchro first gear, and a three-on-the-tree? LOL Good times!

Reactions: MikeyO and abe abel
Ohhh, yessss!!! That thing even still has the small bolt pattern hubs! So, a '73 with drum brakes all around? In '73, if you had discs up front, you got the large bolt pattern (5" X 4.5"), whereas the drum brake cars had the small bolt pattern (5" X 4.0"). In '74, they all went to the large bolt pattern, as I recall.
I've owned thirteen A-body Mopars. Love me some Mopars!!!

Edit: So, after a PM from @MikeyO, I realized that I was mistaken in my above statement. A-bodies maintained the small bolt pattern for drum brake cars all the way through '76. It's been twenty years, or so, since I was a "Mopar or no car" guy, so you'll have to forgive me for the error. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Absolutely. I also remember most of my rigs having manual steering and manual brakes. First time I ever drove a rig with power brakes, I damn near sent my passenger through the windshield! How about non-synchro first gear, and a three-on-the-tree? LOL Good times!
yes sir the first time I rode in a 1960 chevy imp I felt like my butt was going to drag the ground how about Chrysler that had push button shift on the dash to the left of steering wheel & a clutch the first vehicle I owned with power brakes was a 1974 chevy duelly ordered it new 454 4sp only extra was a/c 4k out the door put 300k on the pu before I sold it for 1500 should of kept it and put a long block in it

Reactions: Squatch
yes sir the first time I rode in a 1960 chevy imp I felt like my butt was going to drag the ground how about Chrysler that had push button shift on the dash to the left of steering wheel & a clutch the first vehicle I owned with power brakes was a 1974 chevy duelly ordered it new 454 4sp only extra was a/c 4k out the door put 300k on the pu before I sold it for 1500 should of kept it and put a long block in it
Yep! My '56 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door sedan had that push-button automatic. I think it was called a Powerflite. I sold my '90 Toyota extra cab 4X4, and bought the '56 and used it as a daily driver. The wife was not amused!

A few Fords I'd love to drive.
111209969.jpg
Ford-GT40-Mk-II-67342.jpg
13_main_l.jpg

Ha! Three-on-the-tree is an anti-theft device in today's world!!

Ha! Three-on-the-tree is an anti-theft device in today's world!!

I used to love the old 3 on the tree. back in High school i used to drive my girlfriend od ford pick up. 3 speed with three quarters of a turn of slop in the steering wheel. sometime i miss the old yound and dumb days.

Reactions: Squatch
So I picked up another job, 20 hours a week driving an ancient Kenworth. So old no one knows its year for sure. But pre 1978 since it has no front brakes. Fabulous old mechanical Cat thru the first Road Ranger 13 speed.... altho it is only a 9 speed now.

I gotta say this would be a pick for a favourite secondary vehicle.

IMG_2379.jpg

Reactions: zebra12 and Kiwi TJ
No front brakes, is that a good thing?
Prior to 1978 it was common. No brakes on the steering axle so you could never lock the front tires and always had steering control. After 1978 for a few years trucks, emergency vehicles especially came with a dash mounted portioning valve so you could reduce the front brakes 50% in rain or snow. Today, everything has ABS.

So I picked up another job, 20 hours a week driving an ancient Kenworth. So old no one knows its year for sure. But pre 1978 since it has no front brakes. Fabulous old mechanical Cat thru the first Road Ranger 13 speed.... altho it is only a 9 speed now.

I gotta say this would be a pick for a favourite secondary vehicle.

View attachment 47930
'That's a big 10-4 rubber duck...looks like we got us Convoy' ...wow that sir is a truck and half of fun.