I'm contemplating a TORQ Locker

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've got a few must do items on my build. One of which is to replace the Detroit Truetrac that is in the front Dana 30. Normally, I'm a big proponent of selectable lockers, for obvious reasons, and would go directly to an ARB or Eaton e-Locker. However, because I'm running a Yukon WU-07 spin free hub kit, I'm considering an alternative approach. One that will reduce installation and operational complexity, keep cost down, and provide a reliable and durable locker.

After spending a fair amount of time looking at options, I'm leaning towards the TORQ Locker. Based on what I've seen, it's a solid USA made product, with good customer support, and a 4 year warranty. I took a look at the post @freedom_in_4low did, which provided some useful information, but was wondering if anyone here is running a TORQ locker, or it's close cousin Aussie, up front? Also, are there reasons not to go this route?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/lockright-vs-aussie-vs-torq-locker-comparison.57113/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7MDN3C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have no experience with the Torq locker, but I do have a LockRight in my Dana 30 and have no complaints. With a hub kit I think an auto-locker is the way to go.

Reactions: Irun
I've got a few must do items on my build. One of which is to replace the Detroit Truetrac that is in the front Dana 30. Normally, I'm a big proponent of selectable lockers, for obvious reasons, and would go directly to an ARB or Eaton e-Locker. However, because I'm running a Yukon WU-07 spin free hub kit, I'm considering an alternative approach. One that will reduce installation and operational complexity, keep cost down, and provide a reliable and durable locker.

After spending a fair amount of time looking at options, I'm leaning towards the TORQ Locker. Based on what I've seen, it's a solid USA made product, with good customer support, and a 4 year warranty. I took a look at the post @freedom_in_4low did, which provided some useful information, but was wondering if anyone here is running a TORQ locker, or it's close cousin Aussie, up front? Also, are there reasons not to go this route?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/lockright-vs-aussie-vs-torq-locker-comparison.57113/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7MDN3C/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The only reason you wouldn't run any auto locker up front is if you ever encounter snow and ice. The ability to unlock the front and lock the hubs to run at speed in 4 high is pretty valuable. Speed may be limited by pinion angle but still, far faster and safer than trying to bull it through in rear wheel.

My personal reason for never running a lunch box is due to how many OEM carriers I've seen split through the cross pin holes. That has always been something that tells me the efficacy of a lunch box style is fully dependent on the strength of the OEM carrier.

My personal reason for never running a lunch box is due to how many OEM carriers I've seen split through the cross pin holes. That has always been something that tells me the efficacy of a lunch box style is fully dependent on the strength of the OEM carrier.
I run a Spartan on my front Dana 60 and was always curious about that. When you mention you seen it a lot are you referring to Dana 30s or up to Dana 60s? I know the recommendation for a lunchbox is to not run them on 40s but wanted to know your thoughts. I'm running my set up until it gives out and even then if the lunchbox itself breaks I'll probably just throw another in it assuming the carrier is still good.

Just based on the way it's designed, it's country of origin, the support and warranty, the Torq is the leader in the lunchbox locker game right now as far as I'm concerned.

That could obviously change if I have negative experiences with it, though from what I've been able to gather, any complaints I might have are likely those endemic to lunchbox lockers in general and probably won't tarnish the Torq in relation to it's direct competition. Using the keys instead of pins and spacers logically should eliminate the most common complaints and failure modes I've found on lunchbox lockers in general.

The only thing that could possibly help prevent or reduce the likelihood of what blaine describes above would be somehow reducing the shock placed on the carrier through the crosspin, and I could see how careful design of the driver ramps might help with that but I don't have the resources to determine whether the Torq does anything different there than anyone else. The Torq and Aussie seemed to have more gradual ramps than the LockRight just based on caliper measurements, but I can't predict whether that will have real world results in spreading out the shock or does it just delay the inevitable by a few milliseconds.

I run a Spartan on my front Dana 60 and was always curious about that. When you mention you seen it a lot are you referring to Dana 30s or up to Dana 60s? I know the recommendation for a lunchbox is to not run them on 40s but wanted to know your thoughts. I'm running my set up until it gives out and even then if the lunchbox itself breaks I'll probably just throw another in it assuming the carrier is still good.
I don't have any Dana 60 experience with them and never will. The logic behind the decision to run a lunch box in a 60 is not in my personal value system. If you spend the time, effort, and expense to build a rig on 40's, stretched, with big axles, a proper locker isn't but a pittance in the overall scheme. I don't want something that I will be able to say "if it breaks" based on the fact that I know it likely will.

Reactions: jeepguy03
The carrier breaking is a good point and one I hadn't considered. So this is back to where I started, ignoring the snow and ice issue, with something like a Detroit Locker, or just stick with the tried and true selectable. :unsure:

The carrier breaking is a good point and one I hadn't considered. So this is back to where I started, ignoring the snow and ice issue, with something like a Detroit Locker, or just stick with the tried and true selectable. :unsure:
If I ignore the snow and ice, it is going to be a full case Detroit. I do not actually believe you would have an issue since you won't be working it that hard. I just can't do it.

personally, the extra cost and the work to install an E-Locker over a Detroit isn't big enough for me to justify not just going all the way. Either one requires a backlash setup so if I'm going to the trouble, what's another $300ish and an hour to run a cable and install a switch and then have full control over it?

If I end up joining @pagrey in the he-man lunchbox locker haters club, E-Locker is the way I'll go.

I can’t understand the logic behind putting the same type of locker back into the axle if you break it. At that point you should upgrade to a full locker, not another lunchbox.

If I ignore the snow and ice, it is going to be a full case Detroit. I do not actually believe you would have an issue since you won't be working it that hard. I just can't do it.
personally, the extra cost and the work to install an E-Locker over a Detroit isn't big enough for me to justify not just going all the way. Either one requires a backlash setup so if I'm going to the trouble, what's another $300ish and an hour to run a cable and install a switch and then have full control over it?

If I end up joining @pagrey in the he-man lunchbox locker haters club, E-Locker is the way I'll go.
I have broken parts, but that was always on 35" tires. Even though I'd only be running 31" tires here, reliability and peace of mind are critical for me. If for no other reason than it would be nagging me every time I went out.

As stated, at this point, I'm not seeing a big benefit to going full Detroit Locker. I already have an ARB compressor, so the cost difference isn't that significant. Sometimes it helps me to just talk through things out loud, so I don't make another stupid mistake. (y)

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I can’t understand the logic behind putting the same type of locker back into the axle if you break it. At that point you should upgrade to a full locker, not another lunchbox.
The Spartan I have was super cheap ($125) new so it was an easy decision to make. I'm been pretty rough with it so far even breaking an outer shaft and destroying a hub lock in the process. I've checked it recently when changing an axle seal and it doesn't show any wear. So far, it's holding up great.

I understand the Dana 60 OEM carrier is pretty strong too so I don't know if there will be the issue that Blaine mentioned. Anything can go wrong so there's a chance. Just to note, I don't have a problem setting up new carriers so that's not a concern. It's not even about the cost. Truthfully, I like the simplicity of a lunchbox. I will weigh the options if/when it comes to it.

On a side note, my son will be installing his 1 ton axles in the next few months and he purchased a Detroit for the front. Whereas I think about my setup sometimes he won't give it a thought.

I'd go detroit or lunchbox with locking hubs, the ratcheting is an advantage over a selectable as I see it for tight turns and getting from one thing to the next where as a slectable you are always thinking, do I need it locked here? With a ratcheting locker you can lock it (the hubs) when things get a bit rough and really forget about it until you are out of the mess. I don't see the selectable as always better especially since the locking hubs pretty much eliminate all the bad habits of the other type. As for strength mine was fine but one case is a pretty useless statistic.

Reactions: JDM
I'd go detroit or lunchbox with locking hubs, the ratcheting is an advantage over a selectable as I see it for tight turns and getting from one thing to the next where as a slectable you are always thinking, do I need it locked here? With a ratcheting locker you can lock it (the hubs) when things get a bit rough and really forget about it until you are out of the mess. I don't see the selectable as always better especially since the locking hubs pretty much eliminate all the bad habits of the other type. As for strength mine was fine but one case is a pretty useless statistic.

I've never run a detroit...is the user experience basically the same as a lunchbox, just stronger because of the full case?

I installed a torq locker in my dana 30 with 35" tires. Haven't had any problems yet but I'm in my first year. I've gone offroad a few times with my rear selectable not working so my front axle was abused more than normal. I like how it has fewer parts and easy to install. I couldn't justify installing $1000 locker into a $100 axle. Plus if I ever destroy the axle or locker I guess I'll just have to upgrade the whole axle.

Reactions: MichaelGH
I run a full case Detroit in the 30 in my TJ. With the rear unlocked, there is no difficulty turning off road. It also has Blaine's hydro assist. Some people have had trouble with the case bolts loosening due to the housing flexing, but with a decent amount of carrier preload I have not experienced it.

I have a Cj3a with a torq locker in a front 30. Rochester is an hour and a half from my house and Cora and Erik seem like pretty good people. With the front locked in that, it manouvers as well as normal, but requires more force on the wheel with manual steering. It also has an open rear.

I wouldn't trade either for a selectable.