Inexpensive Black Steelies

17" Black Rock series 942, type D with 265/70 Duratracs are working well for me

20210823_190111.jpg

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
4WP had the cheapest black steelies i could find. like 50ea IIRC.
Both Jeeps i purchased came with pro comp d style steelies. I like the look.

I didn’t have any issues off-roading with them in the local rocks, but I went to aluminum when doing the 5x5.5 Hubs mostly because I wanted less rotating mass.

And if I scrape a wheel I’ll just paint it black and move on with life.

Procomp steelies are cheap ass chinese junk. I spent a ton of time trying t ofind a wobble at 62 MPH. Balance, new tires, balance, balance again. No joy.

Screw it. I bought american made forged aluminum wheels. Right out of the tire shop 70 mph straight down the road.

I sold those POS procomps to a guy with a YJ. 10 bucks apiece.

They suck big black ones.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Depending on what type of wheeling you do, steel may not be the best option. I ran steel for a few years and got to the point where I was bending the rim lips on every outing. I recently swapped them out for a cheap set of aluminum rims and will see how they hold up.
4FF9CA1D-66A1-4662-B9C2-5E522C169F1D.jpeg

615C6187-27E1-4951-B55A-0E976FDBBA17.jpeg

35C4D742-795E-42BD-8CB6-8300282546C2.jpeg

Now running what I believe to be an Ion Alloy aluminum wheel of some kind.

Last edited:
Depending on what type of wheeling you do, steel may not be the best option. I ran steel for a few years and got to the point where I was bending the rim lips on every outing. I recently swapped them out for a cheap set of aluminum rims and will see how they hold up. View attachment 326752View attachment 326754

A forum peep local to me, had gotten tyred of rebalancing his steel rims after every outing.

Reactions: Lax22
A forum peep local to me, had gotten tyred of rebalancing his steel rims after every outing.
So true. I have some rebar rings I plan to weld onto the steel rims I just dismounted. If the aluminum rims hold up, then I’ll just sell them and keep running them until in need new tires.

Reactions: RINC
If you wheel it at all, I'd go toward a cheap alloy wheel. Steelies bend up too easily if you play in rocks much.

If you don't, I can't recommend any steelies.
Steelies bend but dont break. Then they can be bashed back to hold a bead.