Interior Door Latch

JMT

Just another auto…
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My driver's side interior door latch manual lock selector cannot be unlocked from inside the vehicle. You can press it but it seems like it won't go far enough to unlock. The key unlocks it fine from the outside. Can I remove the hex screw in the middle of the door latch to get inside and fix it, or do I need to remove the whole inner door panel? I was afraid if I just removed the hex screw I might mess up a spring or something and then have more trouble figuring out how it works!

No, you can remove that hex screw no problem. That's just one of the many attachment points that holds the door panel on.

So yep, that's what I would do!

Mine were like that, hard to press and didn't seem like it would unlock. I hit everything with some silicone lube and all works fine now. I assume they were just grimy from years being off road. Funny part is, I never lock the doors, with a soft top or bikini what's the point.

Reactions: JMT
It's been a while since I've taken the for panel off, but @Swimmer35 must be right. Oh well, they aren't that hard to remove.

I'll remove that one hex screw first, see if I can get some silicone lube in and get it working, and if not go ahead and remove the door panel. Thanks...I'll let you know what you have to do on mine...

I removed that one hex screw in the latch. After removal, If you pull the latch the end toward the front of the Jeep will open enough to clean some and spray lube in. Screwed it back in and worked it awhile. It works 60% of the time and 100% if you press it abnormally hard. It's sufficient for now and may get better.

Make sure you also lube the catch on the side of the door. The only real mechanism in that whole setup is the door handle and the door catch. Everything else is purely mechanical operating by push/pull rods. However, if one of the rods is not seated correctly or latched in place backwards, they can bind. I found on my passenger door that the rod coming up from the door catch was locked in backwards causing it to bind when trying to unlock it. It would lock fine, but never unlock.