Is it a sin to put Rubicon stickers on a non-Rubicon?

So according to your logic , the jeep should have the "Sport" decal should not be on the Jeep because it has all the Rubicon parts on it !
My Rubicon has a Durango alternator, York from a Wagoneer, a Ford Windstar air intake, an XJ fuse box, a breather cap from a CJ7, windshield washer nozzels from a Chevy van, and some bicycle parts. Maybe I'll try to make the Jeep be one of (or all of those) source vehicles.

If the Sport decals are already there, then that is part of the story of the Jeep. Leave them. However, adding Rubicon parts doesn't make it a Rubicon any more than my Rubicon is a Chevy van now.

I go back to what I said earlier. The Rubicon isn't all that special. Get over that. Quit referencing it like it is something sacred.

The bastard Jeep mutt that you built is special. Let it be what it is.

Reactions: Hawkeye and KCsTJ
The whole thread is about classification and classifying. There are borders to this based on shared characteristics. If you have a giraffe, someone gave it that name (we’re only talking English here, the Latin genus and species designations are globally accepted by scientists for communication purposes), you can’t rename it a Fickalium. But you could designate it as a particular type of giraffe. The big thing here is the OP is not trying to call a Jeep a Gorm. He’s looking at the characteristics of his Jeep and saying, hmmm....Rubicon? Can I call it that? It shares the most affinity with a Rubicon. He sounds like he wants to keep Jeep names like Sport, X or Rubicon, whatever. I see no problem with him doing this and I don’t think it’s disingenuous. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck. Just which one? ;)

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
So what can it be sold as with all those Rubicon parts and stickers? Sport, X, Rubicon?
It’s irrelevant because in capitalism something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Here’s a 69 Camero with $350,000 with a price tag of $180,000. But how much can it be sold for? Depends on the buyer and seller.
956585C5-E2E8-4411-8B50-CEA1AB5DD2FE.jpeg

Reactions: KCsTJ
It’s irrelevant because in capitalism something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Here’s a 69 Camero with $350,000 with a price tag of $180,000. But how much can it be sold for? Depends on the buyer and seller.

He's not claiming it's a Yenko.

I thought the question was what is it, not what it's worth. You may sell it for more than a X, but is it a Rubicon?

Can we pin this thread? It is best first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee to get the day started! ;)

I'm thinking I already might know what it would be like to hang out with most of you if we were ever to have a mass get-together.

As i sit in the garage drinking my morning coffee this was thr first thread i jumped to.

I think you hit the nail smack dab on the head. I like this thread better than any other debatable topic. It has great potential. Its a much needed break from what is better this or this threads.

It is also interesting to see how passionate people can get over i sticker.

BTW nowhere did the OP say is was going to sell it as a Rubicon just badges.

Reactions: jeepins
BTW nowhere did the OP say is was going to sell it as a Rubicon just badges.

It seemed people were trying to determine what makes a Rubicon.
(Correct answer is the factory, BTW)

So what can it be sold as
You may sell it for more than a X, but is it a Rubicon?

Rhetorical questions to help determine.

I personally don't care, i wouldn't have a Rubicon, I'm better off with a lowly model and upgrading to my needs. I prefer to build my own.

The point is, it'll never be more than the VIN says it is, no matter what you do. That's why collectors of any vehicle looks for numbers matching.

No matter what "bits" are cut off or added the DNA (VIN) will always tell you what it really is. You can't change that. It just is.

OP, by all means sticker away, the only people that will notice or care about the "Status" stickers are Jeep people, and as said before you might get tired of explaining.

Disclaimer/new topic I have a "Trail Rated" badge on a XJ. Is that a sin? Go.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
P: people will think it's a Rubicon.
O: of course it's not a Rubicon.
S: sure it looks like a Rubicon.
E: even though it's not a real Rubicon.
R: real Rubicons rock!

You can call it anything you want. Monstercon, Beastacon, Bigfootcon. A con is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what "bits" are cut off or added the DNA (VIN) will always tell you what it really is. You can't change that. It just is.
If i put a 03 Rubicon tub on my 97 sport. It would be registered as a 2003 Rubicon. At least in the state of Arizona. (Assuming it would fit.) Then the DNA would change.
Not getting into the matching numbers of the frame. As this is just hypothetical thoughts. (I think I took this to far)

Disclaimer/new topic I have a "Trail Rated" badge on a XJ. Is that a sin? Go.

I love it. Start it we can have fun.

(I think I took this to far)

LOL, yeah. But i'll bite.

If i put a 03 Rubicon tub on my 97 sport. It would be registered as a 2003 Rubicon. At least in the state of Arizona. (Assuming it would fit.) Then the DNA would change.
Not getting into the matching numbers of the frame. As this is just hypothetical thoughts.

If the confidential VIN and the public VIN do not match, you have a major problem which needs to be addressed professionally and legally. In short, if the public and confidential VINs contradict one another, you have an unsalable vehicle with a title defect; specifically you have a vehicle which purports to have two identities.

above quote from : http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?tag=frame-vin

Not getting into the matching numbers of the frame. As this is just hypothetical thoughts. (I think I took this to far)

I love it. Start it we can have fun.

Do it, I dare you! So, what if a frame is rusted out on a Rubicon and you put a Sahara frame under it, what do you have or does anyone really care? I vote for do what you want its your Jeep.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
My comment was purely talk. I'm happy with what I have. Just tossing new thoughts out.

As a communication major this thread has potential for a great paper. The words that separate a community.