Is it okay to put 100% pure gas in my TJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's OK. You're engine will run fine - it was made for this.

Ethanol has about 80% of the energy of gasoline. Most gas has 10% ethanol. Running 100% gas can be expected to give you about 2% more mileage and power.

The main reason for E10 is that even adding 10% ethanol can reduce harmful emissions (Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and nanoparticles) of some kinds by 70%+ because it makes the whole mix burn cleaner. That's in addition to the roughly 9% reduction in Carbon.

Reactions: Myrose1957
Gum up your fuel lines? Ethanol will clean up your fuel lines. Gasoline leaves deposits. If there is enough build up in the system combined with higher % of ethanol, a gel can clog filters and even injectors. I've never heard of E10 having enough solvent strength to cause gel to form. I switched my old Mustang to E50 and it cleaned the system and deposited it in my carburetor. It ran crappy, but after cleanings of the bowls twice I never had another issue.
Modern gasoline has not varnished in 20 years with the new formulation they run, alcohol though will corrode anything aluminum and some plastics though, even if they claim to meet the astm spec.

It's OK. You're engine will run fine - it was made for this.

Ethanol has about 80% of the energy of gasoline. Most gas has 10% ethanol. Running 100% gas can be expected to give you about 2% more mileage and power.

The main reason for E10 is that even adding 10% ethanol can reduce harmful emissions (Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and nanoparticles) of some kinds by 70%+ because it makes the whole mix burn cleaner. That's in addition to the roughly 9% reduction in Carbon.

You must have drank the cool-aid, I pay 10% more for pure gas and I get 10% better mileage per tank, emissions are the same in a 1.2 l turbo Jetta.

I see you guys in other parts of the word buying ethanol free 91 or 93 for what seems like a good price (10% more) and I'm jealous. The only ethanol free I can get here is 89 octane and its way more expensive than E10 93.

The smart one's already know it's all a hoax too, but there are some stupid one's just like here too.
1564118899233.png

Gas with alcohol is just shit gas, they do it to make people feel good and to help the farmers, not because it is better for your car. The corn used is not the same corn that people eat either. If it was so good, you would be able to use it in an Airplane...which is not allowed. Now if you are talking e85, that is a different animal, it makes good racing fuel if the car is set up for it but I woudnt want to run it in anything that is a daily driver since there are not enough stations to travel across the country and consistently get e85.

Maverick, several farm stations also carry it because it is not hard on equipment that does not run very often, motorhome generators too need it.

Now do you want to know how to get the alcohol out?

Gas with alcohol is just shit gas, they do it to make people feel good and to help the farmers, not because it is better for your car. The corn used is not the same corn that people eat either. If it was so good, you would be able to use it in an Airplane...which is not allowed. Now if you are talking e85, that is a different animal, it makes good racing fuel if the car is set up for it but I woudnt want to run it in anything that is a daily driver since there are not enough stations to travel across the country and consistently get e85.

I am able to get e85 around here and our shop delivery van shows e85 on the gas cap. So you're saying it would be wise to run it? I assumed it would get crappier mileage.

I am able to get e85 around here and our shop delivery van shows e85 on the gas cap. So you're saying it would be wise to run it? I assumed it would get crappier mileage.
If you want, you would have to make a decision on cost per mile, not miles per gallon and compare it to regular gas to see if it is economical.

Do tell...
Add water to the gas, Shake vigourously, wait for the water to seperate. if you put in 100 CC's of water in gas, you may get 120 CC's out with the alcohol mixed in it. The alcohol molecules will attach to the water and then you just tap off the pure gasoline after they seperate. I know pilots that have done it so they could get some gas to fly, alcohol eats aluminum and airplane fuel systems have a lot of aluminum in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.