Is it possible to replace the entire exhaust without removing the skid plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler

Has anyone every tried replacing their entire exhaust without removing their skid plate ?

im going to cut the exhaust at the tailpipe and just before the rear cat....assemble muffler, rear cat and hang it all together and then remove the two front cats and replace them this way.....seems pretty easy without having to remove the skid plate, has anyone done it this way before?

I have found it very hard to get a socket in there without the skid plate off. Maybe with enough extensions it can be accomplished. I've always had to take it off when messing with the aftercat or the muffler, both of which have now been straight piped.

I have found it very hard to get a socket in there without the skid plate off. Maybe with enough extensions it can be accomplished. I've always had to take it off when messing with the aftercat or the muffler, both of which have now been straight piped.
Socket in where?

For the bolts that hold the flanges together.
I mentioned I’m cutting that entire part out from the front of the cat to the tail pipe ...that entire section is being cut....new muffler assembled to cat is one unit that’s going straight in there attaching to rubber hanger.... there won’t be playing around in that area at all

Do you know how easy it is to remove the skid plate? 🤦🏻
Sure do! I also know how heavy it is lol and how tricky it is to line up the other side, not to mention having to place a jack under the transmission yada yada ,,,,if I can easily get away without removing it I will and in this case seems pretty doable ;)

Sure do! I also know how heavy it is lol and how tricky it is to line up the other side, not to mention having to place a jack under the transmission yada yada ,,,,if I can easily get away without removing it I will and in this case seems pretty doable ;)
Your reply is somewhat contradictory. You acknowledge how easy it is to remove the skid, then list the reasons that make it difficult?
I wish you the best of luck...

Removing it gives you more room to work with, but I was able to cut off the muffler without taking it off. If you take it off expect to add another 30 minutes of work time.

Reactions: skrelnik
I don’t mean to come across as a dick, but this is one of those ideas where you actually need a third party to tell you how stupid it is.

I’ve removed and installed my skid plate maybe a dozen times all by myself with nothing other than a jack and basic hand tools.

Sure, sometimes it is a bit tricky, but it’s hardly difficult.

Again, not trying to be a dick, I’m just trying to encourage you to take 10 extra minutes and do it the right way.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Zorba and SvtLdr
Like all things , practice makes perfect. Especially when working on your jeep. The best thing to do is to do the job right the first time so you don't have problems that could've been prevented.

Has anyone every tried replacing their entire exhaust without removing their skid plate ?

im going to cut the exhaust at the tailpipe and just before the rear cat....assemble muffler, rear cat and hang it all together and then remove the two front cats and replace them this way.....seems pretty easy without having to remove the skid plate, has anyone done it this way before?
That is about the same as taking a shit and trying to wipe your ass after you pull your pants up. Sure, it can be done, it is going to be messy, take much longer than it should and when you're done, you may not get it right.

I don’t mean to come across as a dick, but this is one of those ideas where you actually need a third party to tell you how stupid it is.

I’ve removed and installed my skid plate maybe a dozen times all by myself with nothing other than a jack and basic hand tools.

Sure, sometimes it is a bit tricky, but it’s hardly difficult.

Again, not trying to be a dick, I’m just trying to encourage you to take 10 extra minutes and do it the right way.
There’s no need to remove it is my point. Why would I NEED to remove it if I don’t HAVE to? Work smart, not hard.

If you're planning on taking off the exhaust, the hangers are welded to it so you will have to mess with that as well. I found using a Sawzall with them is useful.
The hangers detached from both my rear cat and tailpipe lol it’s very easy to cut where mentioned and remove the unit and replace with the new. After installing the two front cats I’ll just need to line up the rear cat that’s 2.5OD to the 2.5ID which should be easy breezy

The hangers detached from both my rear cat and tailpipe lol it’s very easy to cut where mentioned and remove the unit and replace with the new. After installing the two front cats I’ll just need to line up the rear cat that’s 2.5OD to the 2.5ID which should be easy breezy
what type of muffler are you gonna use?

Status
Not open for further replies.