Is it worth buying a high pinion Dana 30?

If you need to replace the Dana 30 for mechanical reasons, and you don't plan to run over 35" tires, then a HP Dana 30 is a good alternative - especially if you already have 4340 shafts in your Dana 30, since they will slide right into the HP Dana 30. The HP Dana 30 is reported to be 30% stronger (going forward) than the Dana 30 since the pinion teeth engage the "drive' side of the ring gear teeth.

Unless you need to go to 5:38 gears, the ramp up in price between a HP Dana 30 and a Dana 44 is not really worth it since everything except the pumpkin is the same as a Dana 30. Going to a Currie 44 is really not a comparison unless cost is of no concern. And if you plan to go larger than 35s, you might as well plan on replacing your rear with a Dana 60 while you're at it.

I saw a 1 degree increase in caster angle with my 3” lift. So not nothing, but also not much.

that's about all you get.

It would be nice if the pinion vs caster separation was 12 like the low pinion. Just moving the pinion could have bought 3-4° but then 3 of it goes away by moving the pinion and caster axes closer together, leaving us with about 1.

I realize the reason for it...they were going for a specific pinion angle at stock ride height so naturally the high pinion would need less. Not to mention with the XJ the t-case was clocked lower which further reduced the need for pinion angle.

Last edited:
If you need to replace the Dana 30 for mechanical reasons, and you don't plan to run over 35" tires, then a HP Dana 30 is a good alternative - especially if you already have 4340 shafts in your Dana 30, since they will slide right into the HP Dana 30. The HP Dana 30 is reported to be 30% stronger (going forward) than the Dana 30 since the pinion teeth engage the "drive' side of the ring gear teeth.

Unless you need to go to 5:38 gears, the ramp up in price between a HP Dana 30 and a Dana 44 is not really worth it since everything except the pumpkin is the same as a Dana 30. Going to a Currie 44 is really not a comparison unless cost is of no concern. And if you plan to go larger than 35s, you might as well plan on replacing your rear with a Dana 60 while you're at it.

For sure.

My earlier comment was a general observation that I noticed that could come in handy for folks wanting 5.38 gears. You can achieve proper caster and not suffer from pinion angle vibes if you run manual hubs. That's all my previous post really needed to say.

With a 42RLE, I will run 5.38s with 35s or 33s.

Reactions: LJBean