Is my transmission missing a boot or seal?

JoePal

Supporting Member
Greetings Happy Thanksgiving.

Some background. My 06 TJ 4.0Manual - 2.5 susp lift, 1" Body lift, transfer case drop kit.
In a previous post i mentioned issues with getting into reverse due to the work above and the suggestion was to move the center console back a bit. I haven't done it yet but I lifted off the leather boot bezel and that helped for now.

I started hearing noise that i assume is coming from transmission and I will post a recording later.
The noise got louder the other day so i tool a look under the leather boot. The inner boot is torn so i've ordered the replacement.

I decided to take a closer look below the inner boot at the shifter. Doesn't look right. here are some photos. Is there another boot or seal missing? Am I seeing transmission fluid? Help please.

Joe
IMG_6222.JPG
IMG_6224.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG

Let's try this since I didn't hear back from from anyone. See the photo of the OEM shifter tower from my NSG370. As seen in the photos above the seal at the top of the shifter is broken. Anyone know if this can be replaced and where i can get one?

thanks

Joe

oem shifter seal.jpg

He link is for the one that attaches to the tunnel. You need that and the one on shifter. Looks like a lot of stuff getting down into trans. I’m no help with part number.

Doesn’t look like the aftermarket is making any shifter parts. Mopar only offers the complete shifter assembly, part number 68089757AA

A good resource for part info is going to an online Mopar parts supplier. Not so much to buy their parts, but to research them using their exploded view diagrams.

I use moparpartsgiant.com, enter year, make, and model, then check out what’s supposed to be on my Jeep.

Then I’ll write down the correct part number and do an online search for the best price. That way I get the best deal, and if Mopar doesn’t make that part anymore, the search engine usually finds suppliers with alternative replacement parts. Which I can again, search that part number for the best deal.

And since you’re already on the forum, there’s a wealth of info, part numbers and alternatives here too.

So find the shifter part number and look around, see if you can find a deal.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! 👍

thanks for all the comments/suggestions the part (just the seal) is not available, its not sold that way. I'll keep looking around but im gonna try to repair that seal somehow, even if temporary. highgear will sell used one for $199 but they don't refurbish, they just pull them off core returns and resell. Just don't get that i'd have to replace the shifter tower for a $10 piece of rubber. Oh well.... that's jeep life....as i've learned.

Also, what the best transmission fluid for the NSG370?

joe

Also, what the best transmission fluid for the NSG370?

joe

Quite a few members recommend Redline MTL. I'm currently running the MOPAR fluid but have a couple of bottles of MTL to try out.

After seeing the part, I’d be looking around for any kind of boot I could slip over the top of the tower and hose clamp in place. As long as it fits the tower and shaft, problem solved!