Is the factory tailgate vent used on a late model tailgate armor install?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
What's the standard practice for tailgate armor on a late model? Do I need to cut a hole and reinstall the vent, or just leave it off? If it helps, I'll be running the stock tire carrier and MORyde hinges.

20240226_221638.jpg

20240226_222552.jpg

I still don't understand it's importance on a vehicle with a top that is so lacking in air seal anyway... IF on there for the option of a hard top, just add the vents to the hard top... oh, wait...

I still don't understand it's importance on a vehicle with a top that is so lacking in air seal anyway... IF on there for the option of a hard top, just add the vents to the hard top... oh, wait...

No lj has factory hard top vents though because Chrysler

Reactions: Irun
I can’t speak to the air tightness of a TJ but when I had a JK I covered the vent with a delete plate and had a lot of problems with the HVAC and also just closing doors. This is with a hard top.

What's the standard practice for tailgate armor on a late model? Do I need to cut a hole and reinstall the vent, or just leave it off? If it helps, I'll be running the stock tire carrier and MORyde hinges.

20240226_221638.jpg

View attachment 504617
Don't bother adding the vent if you are just running the soft top or no top.

I run the hard top from December to April and soft top the rest of the time.
Just open a window a little when closing the door so your ears won't pop. It would mean no flow-through air ventilation though. And your hard top is a newer model without the vents on the rear sides right?

I installed the Savvy tailgate skin on a previous 03 Jeep with a soft top. There was a difference when closing the doors. I found it was best if I closed the door a bit softer. If I tried to slam the door the pressure would keep it from latching all of the way. When using the AC I ran it on recirculate and for the heat I just cracked a window. It was a bit of an annoyance but not enough to cause me to install the tailgate vent. I'm sure this would be even more pronounced with the hardtop on. Cracking the widows completely solves the issue if that is an option.
Personally, if I were to install a tailgate skin again I would reuse the factory vent as it just works. Unless you plan to relocate or run without a spare you won't see it.

It sure would be nice if there was an 03-06 version with a low profile aluminum vent. I know they used to have two versions (97-02 and 03-06).

It's a non-issue IMO. I've got an LJ and tailgate armor with the vent removed. When I have the hardtop on the difference is hardly noticable. It may take slightly more force to shut a door with the windows up but the pressure increase is not even close to making my ears pop.

It's a non-issue IMO. I've got an LJ and tailgate armor with the vent removed. When I have the hardtop on the difference is hardly noticable. It may take slightly more force to shut a door with the windows up but the pressure increase is not even close to making my ears pop.

I bet your jeep makes fart noise out the tailgate when you close the doors, you just don't hear it. Like an old man walking around the store, just crop dusting innocent folks.

I bet your jeep makes fart noise out the tailgate when you close the doors, you just don't hear it. Like an old man walking around the store, just crop dusting innocent folks.

It isn't a fart noise. This whole time it's really been his ears popping.

edit- popping, not pooping

• Haha
Reactions: Longwhitejeep
It isn't a fart noise. This whole time it's really been his ears popping.

edit- popping, not pooping

He did forget to mention if his hearing was adequate prior to the install of the tailgate armor.

If this forum has taught me anything, it's that the small details matter.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and Irun
No lj has factory hard top vents though because Chrysler

Yes, because early models had vented hardtops, and the vent was moved to the tailgate in ‘03, and the LJ wasn’t introduced until ‘04.

I'm starting with a 1 3/16 " "fart valve". It can always enlarged later, if needed.

View attachment 504828

View attachment 504829

Interesting solution. I’m skeptical as to whether it has enough flow area, but if it works, that’s probably the most subtle way to add your vent back. Is your fart valve just a grommet with flaps that open like a check valve?