Is there any benefit of going to a 16" wheel over a 15" wheel?

Less expensive tires, more selection if I desired and I was still able to run a 16" BBK.
Details please?

I'm having the 15/17 debate with myself and BBK has been part of the equation, thinking 15" would kill that option. Any special offset or such on 15" wheels. My LJR came with 16" beadlocks and weather checked 315 BFG KM2 so need to look at replacing tires minimum, KM2 are noisy so looking at something different. So, to replace tires AND wheels or just look for acceptable 35 x 16 which is my most economical choice.

Details please?

I'm having the 15/17 debate with myself and BBK has been part of the equation, thinking 15" would kill that option. Any special offset or such on 15" wheels. My LJR came with 16" beadlocks and weather checked 315 BFG KM2 so need to look at replacing tires minimum, KM2 are noisy so looking at something different. So, to replace tires AND wheels or just look for acceptable 35 x 16 which is my most economical choice.
Currently I am running the 16" Vanco BBK inside my 15" wheels. It fits with the caveat that stick on weights cannot be used in the path of the caliper.

However, since my comment was made the Goodyear MTR is no longer available in a 15". So, I will be switching to 17" wheels before the next set of tires. The industry seems to be going this direction, making 15s an increasingly obsolete tire size. Thanks to that, I guess I get to use stick on weights everywhere again, which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOTNSUV
Currently I am running the 16" Vanco BBK inside my 15" wheels. It fits with the caveat that stick on weights cannot be used where the caliper lives.

However, since my comment was made the Goodyear MTR is no longer available in a 15". So, I will be switching to 17" wheels before the next set of tires. The industry seems to be going this direction, making 15s an increasingly obsolete tire size. Thanks to that, I guess I get to use stick on weights everywhere again.
To add to this, Goodyear no longer makes the 315/75R16 MTR or Duratrac tires as well. I hoarded a set of Duratracs just in time fortunately, but 17" is the smallest they sell now.

Reactions: jjvw
I’ve been searching for new wheels lately as I found 16” tires to be lacking in selection and I get the same sentiment the market is shifting to 17.

Ton of options for 17s from the bigger manufacturers finding a good looking wheel then seeing no option for for 15” size was frustrating.

Probably thank the auto manufacturers pushing bigger and bigger rims for that.

Milestar Patagonia has a 315/75-16 MT. I'm thinking those might well last for the duration for me and save me the expense of new 17" tires and wheels (whether beadlock or not). I can buy 4, keep the KM2s for endless spares and rock on. I'm not finding a Load Rating for these but assume 'E' considering the size. I guess I'd be giving up some ride quality. Don't know about airing down having never owned beadlocks. I air down to 15# on steel 15" on the XJ, more for comfort than crawling tho'.

• Haha
Milestar Patagonia has a 315/75-16 MT. I'm thinking those might well last for the duration for me and save me the expense of new 17" tires and wheels (whether beadlock or not). I can buy 4, keep the KM2s for endless spares and rock on. I'm not finding a Load Rating for these but assume 'E' considering the size. I guess I'd be giving up some ride quality. Don't know about airing down having never owned beadlocks. I air down to 15# on steel 15" on the XJ, more for comfort than crawling tho'.
If you like garbage tires, go ahead.

I wouldn't run that tire for free even if that included mount and balance.

Probably thank the auto manufacturers pushing bigger and bigger rims for that.
What's funny is even in mid-performance trucks with off-road packages, the automakers are still selling trucks with only larger rims. For example, most higher F150 trims use 20" rims, sometimes even 22" rims for stock 32-33" tires. 18" is reserved for lower trims, and 17" won't even fit over most stock brakes.

But then the highest performance off-road packages still stick with smaller rims. The F150 Raptor 37 comes with stock 37" tires on 17" rims. How many JKs, JLs, and trucks running 37s aftermarket stick with 17" rims versus 18"+?

The automakers know what a difference sidewall makes, but they are in the business of selling cars, not making the best performing cars. And unfortunately for us, the aftermarket tire market is shifting accordingly.

Reactions: JMT
I wouldn't run that tire for free even if that included mount and balance.
Didn't see that coming.. LOL. So noted, and thanks.

That said, what the bald-headed-hell are my options to keep the 16s? off to the interweb..

..anyone wanna buy 5 (obsolete) 16" beadlocks?

Last edited:
And unfortunately for us, the aftermarket tire market is shifting accordingly.
which is why I’ve kinda settled on moving to a 17 over a 15 to replace my 16s.

I used to be pretty against the bigger wheels but looking at a lot of images and the fact you only lose an inch of sidewall at 33” I’m over the hate, of 17s at least.

Also the wheels I settled on are only available in a 17.

At least as good a choice of tyres in the UK in for 16" rather than 15" if you are looking for something around 33" and if you don't want to as wide as 12.5" significantly better as far as I can tell.

No, he’s talking about the stock rims that came on the 06’ Rubicon. The Quadratec’s are a look-a-like with better backspacing

"Better backspacing?"

I think the OEM 2003 - 2006 Moab wheels have 5" backspacing as well.