Is this gas mileage normal?

The last two fill ups I got 15.4 mpg. 4.0, nv3550, 4.56 and 35's on 3.5" lift. This was combined city/hwy and some fwy miles. If only city, I get about 13.5.

This thread got me curious so I checked my last fill-up numbers.

I filled up this week with about 1/4 full tank; the odometer was at something like 240+ miles, and I added 13.8 gallons.

Results = 17.4 miles per gallon. With mixed city and semi-highway driving? I'm happy with that.

(2005 Unlimited, 4.0 Inline, NSG 6-Speed Maunal, 3.73 Rear Gear, 30x9.5x15 BFG T/A KO2 Tires.)

I run ethanol-free gas too as I typically use the Jeep on a weekly, as opposed to daily, basis.

Last edited:
Always smart to track your mileage and pretty easy today with all the mobile apps that do it. Generally not so smart to ignore how your Jeep is performing even if sounds cool that you don't care.

Reactions: harbiison
All stock 05 unlimited best I have ever done was 15.5 mpg. The most gas I have ever put in was 18.1 gal and went just over 280 miles on that tank. Happy with that

I get 6.7 Kilometres per litre no highway driving so thats 16.5 miles per US gallon I think?
Totally stock 06 6 speed no lift with hardtop never go over 3000RPM,s
I did notice an improvement on highway runs but it wasnt much for the overall distances I did!
Changed from 6.5 to 6.7 after the Motorkote and this week have noticed my fuel gauge is showing slightly less used after the oil change to magnatec 10-w 40 but we will see on Tuesdays fill.
So really over 8 months same gas station same pump filled to the top I can confidently say I am getting 16 -16.5 MPG, this may improve on much longer runs when I actually get to use 6th?
I am not annul about it I just calculate after every fill out of interest but do not record it, mainly I check in case it develops fuel problems that dont throw a CEL.
My new Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 2.4 turbo Diesel extra cab work pickup is averaging 21MPG recorded by my company, so really compared to the 6 pot gas guzzler the TJ ist that bad.

I had a 1988 Mazda B2200 5 spd for a while. The wierdest thing was it got 19.5-20 mpg in town and 20 mpg highway.

The craziest thing.

05 ljr 6 speed completely stock the one time I checked I got 14.5mpg, but I don’t really go slow, 80-92mph on the highway normally.

When I cared, I filled up and ran my first 98', 5 speed with stock 3.73 gears and 35s to empty three times. Highway mileage was steady at 17.5 mpg. Same setup on my 05', 6 speed got the same results (without running it dead empty). All my regeared Jeeps since have gotten significantly less with 15 mpg highway being the best. All tests were done while only driving 60 mph.

p.s. My Scion gets 38 mpg, yet I always drive my Jeep. :unsure:

Last edited: