Is this going to tear up my synthetic rope?

Installing a winch finally. The fairlead seems like it is too big. It looks like the rope will be able to rub the bumper. About the best picture I could get of it, but the hole in the bumper is the exact same size as the fairlead hole. There is no way the rope isn't going to rub it. Just not sure if this is okay or not.

You definitely don't want the rope running on any sharp edges. It's not unheard of to have to clearance the opening in the bumper or winch mount to make sure the fairlead keeps the rope off of the edge.

Reactions: Zorba
Yeah, rubbing my finger straight across it I can feel it hit the bumper. So just go at it with a grinder and repaint?

Yes.

While you're at it, remove the rope from the drum. Using a rod or dowel, trace around the fairlead opening while touching the drum and winch plate. You are mimicking anywhere where the rope can be during a pull. Anywhere that makes contact with the fairlead mount needs to be removed.

20200915_171726.jpg
20200915_175444.jpg

A grinder makes quick work of it.

On my build, it took more than I had planned. I had the fairlead before building the bumper. I used it for measurements and still had to grind/taper the opening

IMG_0966_zpshw32i9xn.jpg

IMG_0975_zpswojzpwst.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting