Is this mystery activity a problem? Jumping with shifting

Sarahanne1984

I don’t know what to call this but I’m wondering if it’s normal, a problem, or a serious problem..
The Thing:
when I’ve got my foot on the brake, release parking brake, start it, give it a few minutes, and shift to reverse it does a hissing clunk and the height level of the Jeep rises, then neutral, hiss clunk rise some more, then in drive hiss clunk and rises again and then stays at that level until it does the whole thing in reverse when I park it and drops back down. It doesn’t rev the engine or accelerate on its own or anything like that, it’s just Jeep itself physically goes up and down.

My TJs been doing this thing for the 19 years I’ve had it... It’s an ‘02 4.0 automatic 3” pro comp lift on 33s. Don’t know if any of that matters. it’s the only Jeep I’ve driven so I assumed it was normal and only recently started noticing that people actually look at me crazy when it happens so maybe it’s not normal. And when I went to make my appointment at a local 4x4 place to get my frame sections replaced and was leaving the guy watched it do the thing and was shaking his head while I pulled out like what was that.. something else serious to fix.. but I didn’t turn around and ask what he thought because I was already driving and I’ll be back there in a month or two.

Anybody know what it’s doing and if it’s an actual problem? Is it just the springs and the axle doing their thing? Never would have started to question it if I hadn’t started to notice people around me always making the 😮 face every single time I start or park 🤷‍♀️ I saw someone else ask about what I interpreted to be the same mystery issue in another wrangler forum and never got a reply so figured I’d try here since maybe more peoples TJ’s do the thing.. Thoughts?

You stated the frame sections are going to be replaced and not knowing how bad the frame is or what sections are going to be replaced; could the frame raising be caused by the frame flexing due to the torque exerted by the transmission while holding the vehicle stationary with the brakes ?
The noise you are hearing could be the torque converter or fluid pressure building in the automatic transmission.

I have a hard time imagining a "hissing clunk" but that doesn't sound normal.

The lifting of the chassis might be somewhat normal, or an expected consequence of loading the drivetrain, as the torque from the driveshaft when put in gear, when held by the brakes, applies a twisting force to the axle which is applied to the frame via the control arms.

You stated the frame sections are going to be replaced and not knowing how bad the frame is or what sections are going to be replaced; could the frame raising be caused by the frame flexing due to the torque exerted by the transmission while holding the vehicle stationary with the brakes ?
The noise you are hearing could be the torque converter or fluid pressure building in the automatic transmission.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s because of the frame flexing because it still did it back when I got it at one year old in 2003, at that time it could have been considered practically new and didn’t have rust in the frame. It’s been doing it 19 years and the frame rust issues didn’t start until maybe 3-5 years ago and the rising and lowering thing hasn’t increased or lessened with the deterioration of the frame .

Reactions: CharlesHS
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s because of the frame flexing because it still did it back when I got it at one year old in 2003, at that time it could have been considered practically new and didn’t have rust in the frame. It’s been doing it 19 years and the frame rust issues didn’t start until maybe 3-5 years ago and the rising and lowering thing hasn’t increased or lessened with the deterioration of the frame .

Was the lift already there when you bought it?

I have a hard time imagining a "hissing clunk" but that doesn't sound normal.

The lifting of the chassis might be somewhat normal, or an expected consequence of loading the drivetrain, as the torque from the driveshaft when put in gear, when held by the brakes, applies a twisting force to the axle which is applied to the frame via the control arms.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like the sound is definitely something to have checked out..
the second part of what you said - nobody ever taught me to drive automatic so I have no idea whether my process of start up and having my foot on the brake when I do is actually correct. I put my foot on the brake any time I move the automatic shifter basically. is this doing damage? Or is it what everybody does? It starts slightly rolling any time it’s out of park, which is why I brake while maneuvering out of my parking situation.

Was the lift already there when you bought it?

Yep. It had the lift already done and 15x10 wheels with new MT Baja mud tires 31” on it. So I don’t know what it was like before. I changed the tires to 33” all terrain about 7 years later but it didn’t affect how it acted it was just less loud and squishy/bouncy when I needed to use it on the road. I don’t know who did it or what all exactly was done except the speedometer was never recalibrated.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like the sound is definitely something to have checked out..
the second part of what you said - nobody ever taught me to drive automatic so I have no idea whether my process of start up and having my foot on the brake when I do is actually correct. I put my foot on the brake any time I move the automatic shifter basically. is this doing damage? Or is it what everybody does? It starts slightly rolling any time it’s out of park, which is why I brake while maneuvering out of my parking situation.

Yeah it shouldn't make any noise.

And your use of the brake when moving the shift lever is typical for driving an auto. As soon as it's in gear it's trying to spin the driveshaft so you have to brake or you'll start moving. But the natural response to that is the rear axle trying to turn and putting the control arms in a states of tension and compression, and because geometry and statics creating that lifting sensation. A certain degree of it is normal but yours may be exacerbated by something. My hunch is something in the suspension is loose or was not installed correctly. We might be able to help more if you can point a camera at the rear suspension and video while you shift into and out of R and D. Should be from under the "belly" of the Jeep pointed back to show the links running from the axle to the frame.

What is your idle rpm?

A53AE457-AD28-4D69-BCAA-8E571B8906D4.jpeg