Is this rust too much or okay for purchase?

nislijala

Hi Guys pretty new in Jeeps, but decided to join the "army" :) Found this 1999 model TJ on Dana44 pretty nice inside outside and took few pics under...would appreciate if someone give me some nice and honest opinion how bad or good or ok is this one or should I just walk away? Owner says no rust on the post ..pretty comfortable and confident in the vehicle..would let me test it as much as wanted..even take to some shop and inspect but also here some experienced opinion would be great! Thank you in advance !!

SGCAM_20231105_153553956.jpg

20231105_153626-01.jpeg

20231105_153611-01.jpeg

20231105_153651-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20231104_124145_OfferUp-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good and Nice axles
Check the body mounts and the floor behind the front seats where the faux roll bar bolts down check it underneath the body

Reactions: Danarch
Don't the rust belt jeep frames rot out in front of the rear axle, I am in Texas Rust is not such a big deal down here

The worst spot seems to be the mid section of the frame/ belly area from control arm mount to control arm mount. The lack of holes drilled from factory causes it. But yeah, they rot everywhere else too. Torque boxes, fenders, and rocker panels are the next to go. I've seen some really bad frame damage by the hitch receiver area of one TJ.

They rot from everywhere. This beauty is from Michigan I believe.

View attachment 471751

View attachment 471752

Funny thing is, I've seen Jeeps almost as bad as this underneath but if you looked at it from above, they looked in real great shape. You have to know where to look. When I was looking for my son's Jeep ten years ago, we drove everywhere to find a non rusted one. I would ask if the frame had rust and they would say no. I would pull up to the Jeep, stick my finger in the frame and walk away. Half the time, the owners were unaware of it rusting from the inside out.

Reactions: lBasket
Thanks guys!! So on a first look at these pics it doesnt seem thaaaaat bad to go with? for $7k included all this dana44 and 35s not worn out at all..I mean value is there at my opinion..but not as expert. btw lifted backseat few days ago and complete flooring , it was metal botom with zero rust from the middle to the end where sitting area section is under the mat , didnt look any more detailed under the driver seats..etc

Funny thing is, I've seen Jeeps almost as bad as this underneath but if you looked at it from above, they looked in real great shape. You have to know where to look. When I was looking for my son's Jeep ten years ago, we drove everywhere to find a non rusted one. I would ask if the frame had rust and they would say no. I would pull up to the Jeep, stick my finger in the frame and walk away. Half the time, the owners were unaware of it rusting from the inside out.
I looked at one last year that was the same way. Everything looked great and the frame looked clean and unpainted, until I stuck my fingers in the frame. The rust chips were all the way up to the holes in the frame and all the way down the length of the skid plate. :(
Rubi khaki.jpg

I looked at one last year that was the same way. Everything looked great and the frame looked clean and unpainted, until I stuck my fingers in the frame. The rust chips were all the way up to the holes in the frame and all the way down the length of the skid plate. :(
View attachment 471839

Yeah that one looks so nic3 outside but crazy how it can trick...I just took some additional pics of this car on sale ..underneath both seats and back seat..and few of the frames...I don't see anything alarming or should I be worried?

20231106_120600-01.jpeg

20231106_120718-01.jpeg

20231106_120506-01.jpeg

20231106_120508-01.jpeg

Last edited:
The back of the seats and console are disgusting - it's had a hard life by the looks of it and I think the current owner doesn't care enough about it to clean it before putting it up for sale. What else did they not bother to do?

It would be a pass from me based on that alone.

Andy

how many miles on it ? nothing I see would scare me away, buy as has been said the inside of the frame will make or break it for sure !!! with a little wire brushing and some paint it could look really good , if your willing to put some time into it.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
The back of the seats and console are disgusting - it's had a hard life by the looks of it and I think the current owner doesn't care enough about it to clean it before putting it up for sale. What else did they not bother to do?

It would be a pass from me based on that alone.

Andy

I was just looking particularly if rust got into it..didn't bother me the look or dust under the back seat as owner was honest and said his purpose of using his jeep on the weekends was to take his dog on rides , never used backseat actually just cargo on the back with old carpet . I've seen lots of jeeps have some rust and holes under those carpets after you lift it but these ones looks like rust free there. ( That Michigen Jeep pics are crazy rusty above lol ..)

Reactions: tr21triton
Yeah that one looks so nic3 outside but crazy how it can trick...I just took some additional pics of this car on sale ..underneath both seats and back seat..and few of the frames...I don't see anything alarming or should I be worried?

View attachment 471886

View attachment 471887

View attachment 471888

View attachment 471889

This isn't a unibody car, the floorpans aren't integral to the frame. What everyone here is concerned and talking about is the frame underneath, that is what matters. And it doesn't look too horrible?

Any of you dog owners... that ball in pic #2... most indestructible ball I've ever found