Is this TJ worth it?

$7,500 turns into $10,000 quick if the frame repairs were inadequate. Besides, wouldn’t you need a hard top in a place like Ohio? Doesn’t seem like a soft top would offer much protection from harsh weather conditions.

This is a very good post- price and cost are 2 different things- And I have yet to get my hands on one that didn’t need all sorts of bushings and the like-

Hey guys! Looking to get back into a TJ and recently found this one about 2 1/2 hours from me. I’m liking the look and some of the modifications, but the frame has been repaired. How’s it look? Obviously the paint was slopped on, but from what I can tell the repair doesn’t look bad. The owner before him did the repair, so he doesn’t know too much about it. He’s been very honest and up front. I’m currently in a high school welding program with the freedom to bring in my own projects. So, if problems did arise i’m sure i’d be able to sort it out.

It’s a 2000 with 142k, current owner has babied it. Very nice interior and no CEL! He has a 2.5” lift with 33 ATs, which is how I like my jeep. I actually like the mammoth wheels. The aluminum fenders are nice. He’s done the head unit and speakers, which is one of the first things I would have done. The body is very clean. Needs some tint, but overall I like the jeep, just don’t want to get in over my head with rust. We’ve agreed on $7500. Appreciate any help making a decision!

View attachment 411407

View attachment 411408

View attachment 411409

View attachment 411410

View attachment 411412

View attachment 411413

View attachment 411414

View attachment 411415

Where is it at? I am in Dayton Ohio and if it’s close to me, I can go check it out for you.

Reactions: Texas-TJ and AndyG
my wife thinks camouflage is sexy. I don’t see it.

You do now. ;)

Camo-swimsuits.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Texas-TJ and BlueC
A 17yr old who can drive a stick is hard to find. It looks good for a rust belt vehicle. Price seems fair. Hard to tell overall condition with the pictures furnished. Have someone other than yourself who has no emotional attachment to the purchase drive and inspect it. You will get your money out of it with the fun factor and the knowledge you will get tinkering with it.

Have someone other than yourself who has no emotional attachment to the purchase drive and inspect it.

That is sound advice that many people ignore, but should apply to most significant financial decisions. (y)

It already has the frame safety caped. Some may say that’s good but personally I’ve seen dozens of jeep with caps looking for one for my brother and not a single one was done well enough to for me to buy. One of my best friends even had a safety cap and with in 3 years his skid was held up by a ratchet strap again. Check it out and see inside the frame but I personally wouldn’t gamble on that one for the price.

what is the safety cap you mention?

what is the safety cap you mention?

It’s a manufactured section of frame to replace a stock rusted frame. Once a frame is toast they try and save it but cutting it out and welding in new metal to make it new again. I’ve never seen one done well enough that I would buy. Ive seen so many guys use it to cover up the frame so it looks fine to sell but continues to rusts since the rusted frame is still under. I’ve never seen a jeep with one I’d buy but this one is well done every where else so checking it out could change that but without looking at it I wouldn’t not buy it. https://www.quadratec.com/p/safetca...-93nS4hmg9QNetbbPU3xusHiwOWYk_ohoCTisQAvD_BwE

Reactions: Rut Row
It’s a manufactured section of frame to replace a stock rusted frame. Once a frame is toast they try and save it but cutting it out and welding in new metal to make it new again. I’ve never seen one done well enough that I would buy. Ive seen so many guys use it to cover up the frame so it looks fine to sell but continues to rusts since the rusted frame is still under.

Pretty sure they're designed to go over the original frame, not replace metal.
Also, if it's covered up, how do you know they didn't cut the rust out?

Pretty sure they're designed to go over the original frame, not replace metal.
Also, if it's covered up, how do you know they didn't cut the rust out?

Yes it’s bigger than the frame so it’ll go over technically but then if you’re not cutting the rust out you’re not fixing it, just extending the life till the cancer takes over it as well. Being most people doing this don’t have metal on the bottom of the frame I’d say it’s to replace metal since the original is gone and if it’s not to replace it then I wouldn’t even look at a jeep with safety caps then. How do you know if they didn’t cut it? Looking in the frame and still seeing the rust even when the caps don’t have holes like the original frame so you have to look through the holes further forward or backwards of the caps, seeing the rust encroach above the safety cap welds, or the safety cap being rusted out just like the original frame. All of which I’ve seen.

Reactions: Rut Row