Issues with repair shop

• Thread starter Deleted member 12552
  • Start date
Not brutal, just the facts...
A clear expression of the last one who touched it owns it. We get axles to sling under rigs quite often. They come to us with gears installed and set up. Sometimes there is an issue with the air line routing and they want us to move it. With rare exception I do not do it. I don't want to be the last one that touched the gears and give the installer a way to decline warranty.

Mostly good advice, didn't know front shocks weren't struts I believe when I purchased them it was the term they used. As far as the emergency brake usage the normal brakes had completely failed and I had no choice pull it or rear end an idiot who stopped on the highway quickly without reason. and used the e brake on the way home as it was all that would slow me down I may be an idiot but I thought that was what it's for.

Mostly good advice, didn't know front shocks weren't struts I believe when I purchased them it was the term they used. As far as the emergency brake usage the normal brakes had completely failed and I had no choice pull it or rear end an idiot who stopped on the highway quickly without reason. and used the e brake on the way home as it was all that would slow me down I may be an idiot but I thought that was what it's for.

That’s what it’s for, along with parking. If the hydraulic system of the brakes fail, you have the mechanical parking/emergency brake.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Don't get riled, @Lazyboy. You're not an idiot. Sometimes we forget how it is when you don't do a lot of work on your Jeep yourself and you have to rely on others who are supposed to know what they are doing to "make it right".
In this case though, it's probably best to take it as a learning experience, pick up some pointers on adjusting your hinges, and move on with life (with the smile of a person who learned sumthin' 'bout his Jeep today). ;)

Reactions: skrelnik and Daryl
Never said you was an idiot, but you made it sound like you used the emergency brake as part of your normal panic stop. They should not have worked correctly with the back brakes jacked up unless you have a rear disc TJ...where it has a separate drum from the discs...and stupid drivers suck on the highway, I have had many close calls over the years. Good luck. Tim

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I feel for you OP. I was you about 35 years ago. I knew very little about cars, nothing about mechanics, and was a magnet for vehicle repair shops ripping me off and doing shoddy work.

What changed things for me was buying a few books about internal combustion engines and auto mechanics and reading them. Then immersing myself in learning to turn a wrench or two. Bought some Craftsman tools, and started changing my own oil, filters, battery, etc. even rebuilt a carb with just a how to manual. Back then there was no Google.

Since then I’ve owned an operated an oval track and drag strip race car, and have rebuilt 2 engines, etc. The only work I refuse to do myself to this day, ironically, is drum brakes. They are a pain in the butt in my opinion.

Just hang in there. I’ve learned so much about vehicles I’ve owned from forums. This one in particular. So despite how “salty” (someone else used this term) the members can be they are trying to help. Read all of the “how to” threads in this forum. And try to do some basic work yourself. Even the harder stuff you cannot tackle yourself you will learn basically how it’s done so you can go to the repair shops with your eyes wide open and so you will know shoddy work, and lies, when you see and hear them.

Good luck

As an aside for the OP and anyone else interested...
I have amassed quite a collection of tools over the years, some great, and some crap. But they all live in various tool chests. Last year, I decided I wanted a convenient take-along tool set that I could grab when I take the TJ on rides or when I make a salvage yard run. Wasn't looking for a 3 million piece "has everything" kit, just a good, all-around "covers most stuff" kit.
What I decided on was this kit from Crescent . Since getting it, I have found that it is so convenient and the tools are of high enough quality that I use it 90% of the time when working on the wrangler or other vehicles at home. The only other non-specialty tools I commonly need are my set of Torx sockets and 20-piece ratcheting combo wrench set...and a hammer or mallet sometimes.🛠
I would highly recommend this kit for a first-time tool kit or anyone who wants a fairly complete grab-n-go kit in a convenient package.