Jeep Hauler / Camper Build

Upper cabinet installed got a few screws into the steel frame so it should stay up. Started building a pantry in the corner. Slow progress but it’s taking shape. Picked up some paneling to wrap the bed and pantry in today too. More tomorrow.
85606874-D7DB-4234-B415-039EA2466959.jpeg

Little more progress. Still have some temp wiring ran until I can start the other pantry that will be opposite the partially completed one pictured. Will relocate the panel and start making things more proper. Going camping this weekend, so this as good as it gets for now.

Custom window shades ordered, shower pan is next. Going to add some lighting. About 1/3 of the way done.

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

eventually I see a spring over conversion
since it is longer than you need you could even cut off 4'
the sliding bed is very cool

Now that I have an LJ and a giant storage box mounted on the deck the length is perfect. I like the low center of gravity, its not an off-road trailer that's for sure. Have only dragged the rear twice so far. Once backing into my driveway with the Jeep loaded.

Awesome build. Crazy how much more complete it looks with the paneling put in. This is fun to watch!
I planned to get more done this week, but I took a day off. Will get back at it next week after we spend the weekend enjoying the trailer and the Jeep. The paneling does make it look more "finished".

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
It’s coming together nicely. You are doing such a first class job on it, you could AirB&B it when you are done!

Reactions: AMS417
Small update, had to take break and work on the Jeep some. Plus since the trailer is now "livable" I find my self far less motivated to push for completion.

One major upgrade, blinds for the windows! Custom ordered and light filtering. No more full moon shining in my face like a spotlight while I try to sleep.

Yes the rear window is slightly higher than the side window. I found it odd as well when installing the blinds. Also installed a smoke detector and fire extinguisher. While routering out some notches I set off the smoke detectors so I know it works.

IMG_6041.JPG

Next I started building the closet that will be the "wet wall" for the shower. I removed the power panel and incorporated it into the bottom of the closet. All the wiring and plumbing is now permanently installed and will be covered with paneling. The cassette toilet will be between to the two closets and have a curtain for privacy. The shelf above the power panel will be removable for access to the battery, wiring and plumbing. There will be one shelf up high and a rod for hanging cloths.

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

I also added a 12v kitchen light with LEDs and wired in a GFCI near the window. The water heater is now wired and working as well. I built some shelving into the left hand closet and will finish it all out with the grey plank paneling when I am done building the shower out. Each shelf in both closets will have an LED strip inside all ran off a two gang RV style switch along with a light for the "bathroom area"

IMG_6038.JPG

I plumbed in low points drains in the bottom of this closet for easy winterization of the plumbing. It has two quarter turn valves that are hidden below the shelf bottom. This bottom will remain removable to access them.

IMG_6040.JPG

That's all for now, off road trip this weekend and boating season coming fast. Hope to have it finished 100% by the Fall. Waiting on parts to install the shower, that's the next big project.

So its been a while since I posted an update here. I have been enjoying the camper as it was in the previous post all summer. I was ready to go with the next phase in August and spent a month recovering from Covid after a 6 day hospital stay. This week I am back in action.

First order of business, finish the hanging closet and prep for shower install. I added a through the wall power vent with a light ring inside to provide light in the shower. Started framing the rest of the hanging closet and installed the shower pan. This pan was intended to be installed with three walls, but I omitted one and built up a curb. This will later be wrapped in FRP same as what is on the shower walls. Ran out of time this week :( but have a big trip to Hot Springs planned this weekend with lots of wheeling.

IMG_6207.JPG

Next, cut and fit 5mm ply as a backer after framing in several nailers across the span. The ply is glued down, and trim nailed so it stays put. The FRP was cut and fitted to the ply, attached with shower wall adhesive and a couple trim nails in the top corners just to be safe.

IMG_6217.JPG

Next, installed plumbing, faucet, shower head (Oxygenics nice unit!), installed the interior light ring and the shower curtain track on the ceiling. Pressure tested plumbing, no leaks!!! Caulked everything in tight and had the wife do her part, clean up my mess.

IMG_6236.JPG

Moved on to wiring up the cabinet back lights on both sides. Temp installed switch until I can find time to face out the closet with paneling. Maybe next week. All that is left if to wrap the shower curb, hang a couple pieces of paneling, and spend the rest of my life hanging trim and doing detail work. I swear, I am so slow at this.

Might do a quick walk through video when its done. My budget DIY Sundowner Crawler Hauler.

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG

Last edited:
Really appreciate the feedback. It’s not perfect and I know all the little imperfections. I really suck at caulking and I hate it. I guess it isn’t bad for my first attempt at building a camper :)

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
You did such a professional job. Looks amazing and functional. Very good work!

It's got a nicer interior than my house :)

That is a cool build. My wife and I stayed in a tiny house this weekend but this is on another level! Its very cool you can tow your toy and your hotel.

• Love
Finally got around to installing the final pieces of panel and hanging some trim. I also installed a curtain rod in the closet so we can hang jackets and clothing up. Still have several more sticks of trim to cut and fit. Ran out of corner bead and put the trailer in storage at my buddies lake house for winter. We spend a few weekends up there in the winter so its a good place to store it anyway. Early spring I will put the final touches on, maybe. Wife keeps adding stuff. I have a small round shower mirror on a swivel to install and some towel hooks. The list continues to grow as she adds to it.

Covid really kicked my ass this summer. Still not back to my old self. Lost 36lbs in the hospital and gained more than that back since. My stamina is slowly returning. Too many projects, not enough energy. Need to prioritize losing weight, working from home is not helping.

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

I first read your thread on this in January when you had just bought the trailer but tonight I am up to date and man it's really coming together, it looks awesome! Covid sucks but glad you pulled through, keep on trucking back to your old self. I see in here you ventured to Hot Springs Offroad back in September, I am headed there in early January, hopefully, I'll get to see this thing in person one of these days. Any chance you'll be headed to TJ fest in Moab last week in April?

I first read your thread on this in January when you had just bought the trailer but tonight I am up to date and man it's really coming together, it looks awesome! Covid sucks but glad you pulled through, keep on trucking back to your old self. I see in here you ventured to Hot Springs Offroad back in September, I am headed there in early January, hopefully, I'll get to see this thing in person one of these days. Any chance you'll be headed to TJ fest in Moab last week in April?

Thanks for the kind words. We have been to Hot Springs several times, I like that park, but its a bit of a drive for a weekend trip. Plan to head back there for sure, but don't know when. Doubt we will make the TJ trip to Moab, but its on my list of places I want to visit. We have two YJ's to finish up before we start tearing into my LJ in the fall. Will have to see if we can connect in Arkansas, or if you ever want to come check out SMORR its only 1 hour away from us. We spent several weekends there this season. Its also an awesome park.

Thanks for the kind words. We have been to Hot Springs several times, I like that park, but its a bit of a drive for a weekend trip. Plan to head back there for sure, but don't know when. Doubt we will make the TJ trip to Moab, but its on my list of places I want to visit. We have two YJ's to finish up before we start tearing into my LJ in the fall. Will have to see if we can connect in Arkansas, or if you ever want to come check out SMORR its only 1 hour away from us. We spent several weekends there this season. Its also an awesome park.
The LJ is our first Jeep but we have definitely been bit by the bug, we have already decided we will have a second LJ sometime in the future….

Here in Dallas Any good trails are hours away. There’s a couple only 2 hours from me but the good stuff is a bit further.

I’ve heard of SMOOR and it looks awesome but that’s about 7 hours from me so probably would be a longgg weekend.

How built are your YJ’s?