Jeep Hauler / Camper Build

The LJ is our first Jeep but we have definitely been bit by the bug, we have already decided we will have a second LJ sometime in the future….

Here in Dallas Any good trails are hours away. There’s a couple only 2 hours from me but the good stuff is a bit further.

I’ve heard of SMOOR and it looks awesome but that’s about 7 hours from me so probably would be a longgg weekend.

How built are your YJ’s?
They belong to a good friend of mine. He has a ton of fabrication knowledge and has been helping me keep mine trail ready.

His Jeep has a 4BT Cummins engine, Dana 60 front with coilovers, 14 bolt rear axles with leaf springs, 42" Pitbull tires. We are going to redo the rear and add a 4 link and coilovers soon, as well as shaving the 14 bolt. The Dana 300 transfer case keeps blowing up from the diesel torque so its getting a billet housing and a 4:1 kit.

His wife's Jeep has a 5.3 LS with Dana 44's on leaf springs with 35's. He just sold everything from the frame down and we are doing links on both ends with a Dana 60 front and Sterling rear. Its getting 42's as well. Already has a Dana 300 in it. Building it a roll cage as well.

Mine will start once the other two are complete, probably next fall. I don't want to take it apart until I have all the parts to build it.

We don't always run super hard trails though, we all still enjoy running easy / moderate stuff and enjoying the scenery. Lots of our friends are still on 33's and 35's. Good group to wheel with, lots of knowledge and skill if something breaks.

Well, I think its finished. Got the last trim cut and installed. Little filler in the nail holes and some touch up paint. Added a towel hook and a swivel mirror to keep the wife happy. 50 amp 110/12v panel with a main disconnect so I can shut everything off when stored and not draw down the battery. Also disables the electric jack. Long project, but being out of it sick delayed things, that and I like to use it more than work on it. Portable toilet not shown. I remove it when we are not camping. Just need to clean it up before we head out for the weekend.

So far it works great for us. Future project and modification will come. I want to add a cell signal booster, and will need to add tube or heavier steel fenders once the Jeep gets wider. I also want to paint the deck boards now that they have some age. Will wait until its hot and dry and hit them with a couple coats of textured paint for traction and to make the wood last longer.

Its been a fun project, and way cheaper than the other options I could find. I need to take it to the scales now that its complete.

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I think its finished. Got the last trim cut and installed. Little filler in the nail holes and some touch up paint. Added a towel hook and a swivel mirror to keep the wife happy. 50 amp 110/12v panel with a main disconnect so I can shut everything off when stored and not draw down the battery. Also disables the electric jack. Long project, but being out of it sick delayed things, that and I like to use it more than work on it. Portable toilet not shown. I remove it when we are not camping. Just need to clean it up before we head out for the weekend.

So far it works great for us. Future project and modification will come. I want to add a cell signal booster, and will need to add tube or heavier steel fenders once the Jeep gets wider. Its been a fun project, and way cheaper than the other options I could find. I need to take it to the scales now that its complete.

View attachment 324517
View attachment 324519
View attachment 324521
View attachment 324522
View attachment 324523
Wow the finish level is incredible, well done, does not look home built. Looks easy to maintain as well.

Reactions: AMS417
Great job and it really does look nice. A lot better than I'd hope to be able to do. Are you using a composite toilet?

Reactions: AMS417
  • Haha
Reactions: Wildman and lBasket
Just a Thetford Curve portable with electric flush. Holds a weekends worth of recycled beer. Not much worse to dump it than wrangling a waste hose for an RV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKR3VYT/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Ugh...I've done the Porti-potti thing with my boat. I much prefer the stinky slinky to dump my waste tanks. Looking into composting toilets though...just because we don't always camp at places that have dump stations.

Reactions: AMS417 and Wildman
Ugh...I've done the Porti-potti thing with my boat. I much prefer the stinky slinky to dump my waste tanks. Looking into composting toilets though...just because we don't always camp at places that have dump stations.
I have a black tank on the boat. It’s a pain is the ass to go to the marina and get it pumped.

Portable is simple. Plus no room for under mounted tanks on this trailer. It was the simple solution.

Reactions: Wildman
Finally got around to getting a few coats of paint on the trailer deck. Valspar premium with sand in it for traction. Looks at least $120 better to me. Need to give it 24 hours to dry and bolt the box back on.

Carriage bolts I used to hold down the box were way to long and it took forever to tighten them with a wrench when I installed it. Wasn’t doing that today so I made a tool. Super deep socket, lol.

23990C8C-3337-46B3-B407-96850E58828E.jpeg

D8B2931E-7BEB-4347-BA09-D55F87E3D20B.jpeg

31F5B09A-6096-4333-8CDA-744B639E0233.jpeg

Trailer looks great! What do you do about the grey water from the sink/shower?

Bio friendly soap and release it back into nature. We only carry 35 gallons of water and don't use it all in a weekend. We have a portable grey tank when needed but so far have not needed it. Taking a shower I use 3-5 gallons. Sink is just for washing dishes and brushing teeth. We don't dump any solids through grey waste. No worse than washing your car in the driveway.

Reactions: dragup